Converting Birdshot to Slugs
Pavel Svinchnik
2017-12-31 17:57:11 UTC
A friend told me about how his grandfather used to convert birdshot shells
to slugs for deer hunting. I wondered if anyone else had ever heard of this.

Being short on funds, granddad would buy boxes of birdshot meant for trap shooting
when they were on sale. He would then score the plastic right above the brass, not
cutting through but weakening the shell casing a bit. When he shot at a deer, the
plastic would separate from the brass and fly out of the barrel as a unit. The birdshot
would remain encased in it, giving the impact of a slug when it hit.

Sounds sort of possible but I'd worry about the plastic case getting stuck
and blowing the barrel.

Paul

[MODERATOR: The idea of a "cut shell" has been around a long time, and
it can work as generally described. In effect, the load becomes a huge
frangible. (You can find videos on the web of people showing this off.)
And the practice is also fraught for the shooter, especially in firing
more than one round. The first might get off okay, but if it leaves a
case in the barrel, then that becomes the bore obstruction for the next
time you pull the trigger. Your Humble Moderator would recommend against
the practice. ]
Gunner Asch
2018-01-01 02:24:25 UTC

#
[...]

Absolutely correct.

opening the crimp and pouring in hot wax is also a tactic and allows
you to not need to cut the casing.

Gunner
r***@yahoo.co.uk
2018-01-01 10:03:59 UTC
Re: Converting Birdshot to Slugs (at least in part)

#<***@jhmi.edu> wrote:
#
##A friend told me about how his grandfather used to convert birdshot shel ls
##to slugs for deer hunting. I wondered if anyone else had ever heard of t his.
##
[...]

And this way you avoid all those gases that can blow back around the brass, as
the cut case will seal tighter and cause higher pressures, anyone who has
experienced a "Separated Case" will tell you it=B4s not something you would do
intentionally

And that's without any consideration of the choke ;-<)