Tutorials, etc. on concealed carry in winter?
Bert
2016-08-31 21:57:07 UTC
I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like Minnesota.

Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is going
to cut it.
***@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN
Don Bruder
2016-08-31 22:48:47 UTC

#
# Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is going
# to cut it.

Too easy: Get yourself one of those cute little 9mm pocket-rockets and
carry it inside your mitten.
--
Brought to you by the letter K and the number .357
Security provided by Horace S. & Dan W.
Frank Tauss
2016-08-31 23:31:15 UTC
Bert <***@iphouse.com> wrote in news:nq7jri$6j4$***@news.albasani.net:

# I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like Minnesota.
#
# Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is going
# to cut it.
#

Go to a store that sells police equipment. Get a pair of cop style leather
gloves.

My test is if I can pick up a coin from a glass counter top. Never had a
problem with a pair where I could do that.

They are usually good for keeping icy wind off your skin which is all I want.
But I live in Virginia. Your mileage may vary in colder climes.

Frank
Bert
2016-09-01 18:36:47 UTC
In news:nq7pc3$g1l$***@news.albasani.net Frank Tauss <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:

# Bert <***@iphouse.com> wrote in news:nq7jri$6j4$***@news.albasani.net:
#
# # I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# # discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like
# Minnesota. #
# # Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is
# going # to cut it.
# #
#
# Go to a store that sells police equipment. Get a pair of cop style
# leather gloves.

That doesn't help me figure out how to carry in such a way that I can
actually get to a "concealed" handgun in less than 5 minutes.

Think layers.

Carry in an outside pocket of my outer layer might work, but that
leads to further complications, like what to do when I get to a
destination and have to take my coat off.

# They are usually good for keeping icy wind off your skin which is all
# I want. But I live in Virginia. Your mileage may vary in colder
# climes.

Gloves like that might get me from the house to the garage and keep my
hands from freezing until the car heater is working, but not much more.
I wasn't really joking in my quip about mittens.

I've only just started researching this topic and probably just haven't
hit the right sites or used the right combination of magic googlewords
to find them.
***@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN
Gunner Asch
2016-09-02 00:44:42 UTC
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:36:47 +0000 (UTC), Bert <***@iphouse.com>
wrote:

#In news:nq7pc3$g1l$***@news.albasani.net Frank Tauss <***@yahoo.com>
#wrote:
#
## Bert <***@iphouse.com> wrote in news:nq7jri$6j4$***@news.albasani.net:
##
## # I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
## # discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like
## Minnesota. #
## # Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is
## going # to cut it.
## #
##
[...]

There is NO good way to bundle up and carry concealed..given that one
Unbundles when they arrive at their destination.

Typically I occasionally carry in a shoulder holster when out in the
cold. Or if I think a mini pistol is good enough..coat pocket, while
wearing a standard hidaway holster for the weapon in my "inside"
clothing.

On arrival..I simply remove the weapon and tuck it into its inside
holster.

Ive discovered however..that carrying (2) weapons makes things MUCH
easier. One in my jacket..one in the inside holster.

Shrug..Cold weather has as many challenges as does hot weather..plus a
few more.

There are no "easy" methods

However..it makes a great reason for buying a second pistol...(Grin)
TimR
2016-09-02 12:58:43 UTC
I can't think of a good solution either.

Uh, man purse maybe? Not ideal, but maybe better than nothing.
Just Wondering
Carry two weapons - one in your usual CC place, one in an outer coat pocket.
Peter Franks
2016-09-02 14:46:27 UTC
On 8/31/2016 2:57 PM, Bert wrote:
# I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like Minnesota.
#
# Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is going
# to cut it.

Analyzing the need from the other direction:

How much crime, and what types, happens in the cold outside that would
necessitate immediate accessibility?

This is a serious question, trying to drive toward what you need to
defend against. In other words, what type of assailant(s) are you
likely to encounter, and what are their means?

(I'm assuming that normal concealed carry is suitable for non-cold
inside environments -- i.e. you don't wear mittens once you get
inside/out of the cold.)
TimR
2016-09-02 20:36:12 UTC
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 10:46:29 AM UTC-4, Peter Franks wrote:
# On 8/31/2016 2:57 PM, Bert wrote:
# # I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# # discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like Minnesota.
# #
# # Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is going
# # to cut it.
#=20
# Analyzing the need from the other direction:
#=20
# How much crime, and what types, happens in the cold outside that would=20
# necessitate immediate accessibility?

#=20
# (I'm assuming that normal concealed carry is suitable for non-cold=20
# inside environments -- i.e. you don't wear mittens once you get=20
# inside/out of the cold.)

There's another problem that people from Minnesota know all too well, but p=
eople here in Virginia might not anticipate.

No front sight.

Why?

Because your eyeglasses chilled down to 15 F while you were outside. Then =
you stepped into a warm humid store, bar, gas station, etc. and they froste=
d up instantly. All you can see is white - no front sight, not even your w=
eapon. For about ten minutes you're going to be shooting by sound. =20
Bert
2016-09-02 20:36:14 UTC
In news:nqc3c3$ehi$***@news.albasani.net Peter Franks
<***@cox.net> wrote:

# On 8/31/2016 2:57 PM, Bert wrote:
# # I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# # discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like
# Minnesota. #
# # Somehow, I don't think "Gimme a minute to get my mittens off" is
# going # to cut it.
#
# Analyzing the need from the other direction:
#
# How much crime, and what types, happens in the cold outside that would
# necessitate immediate accessibility?
#
# This is a serious question, trying to drive toward what you need to
# defend against. In other words, what type of assailant(s) are you
# likely to encounter, and what are their means?

I understand completely. The attitude here used to be "20 below keeps
the riffraff out," and where I travel there have been no real problems,
so far.

If I were to judge entirely on my personal experience here in Minnesota,
I really don't need to carry at all, summer or winter. Having grown up
in Baltimore, I have a memory of worse times, although again, nothing
personal.

It's really more a matter of philosophy, attitude and practice.

# (I'm assuming that normal concealed carry is suitable for non-cold
# inside environments -- i.e. you don't wear mittens once you get
# inside/out of the cold.)

No mittens indoors :-)
***@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN
Kevin Bottorff
2016-09-02 23:13:16 UTC
# It's really more a matter of philosophy, attitude and practice.
#
# # (I'm assuming that normal concealed carry is suitable for non-cold
# # inside environments -- i.e. you don't wear mittens once you get
# # inside/out of the cold.)
#
# No mittens indoors :-)
#

I certanly wouldnt go down to lake st without being armed, winter or
summer. KB
Peter Franks
2016-09-09 12:29:33 UTC
# <***@cox.net> wrote:
#
# # On 8/31/2016 2:57 PM, Bert wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks for the response.

In answer to your original question, I've never run across extreme-cold
weather gun handling tactics (I live in Vegas, so I have the opposite
problem you do). My only suggestion, and I'm sure you've already
considered it, it a type of finger-less mitten (e.g.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148RVLBM)?

My only other thought is to have an alternative weapon as your primary
in extreme cold (e.g. some type of contact weapon, extendable baton,
etc.) that doesn't require extreme dexterity, with a gun as a backup to
that. ?

Good luck!
Ed Stasiak
2016-09-18 21:44:40 UTC
# Bert
#
# I'm looking for pointers to reasonably detailed and well-thought-out
# discussions of winter concealed carry in cold regions like Minnesota.=20

Michigan here, and my style of concealed carry remains the same
throughout the year; a NAA .32 Guardian in my right rear pocket.

Sure, I=E2=80=99d have to pull my glove off and push up the bottom hem of
my coat in the winter but that=E2=80=99s not a big deal IMO, just comes wit=
the territory.=20

Your first line of defense should be awareness of the area around you,
so that you=E2=80=99re not surprised and forced to try an OK Corral quick d=
raw.

I also carry an ASP Palm Defender pepper spray on my keychain, which
should give me a second or two advantage in the event I am surprised
and as one=E2=80=99s keys are usually in-hand, there=E2=80=99s no need to d=
raw the sprayer
from a holster or pocket.

And it gives me at least minimal defense in situations where I can=E2=80=99=
legally carry, such as a pub or bar;

https://asp-usa.com/store/defenders.html