Antique revolver
b***@gmail.com
2017-12-27 17:52:20 UTC
I recently inherited an antique Remington 1858 (see below) - it won't let me add any pictures.

I will never likely part with it, as it was my grandfathers then my father's.
That said, would love to know some of the history behind the firearm and potential value.

I have asked about potentially refinishing... thoughts?

I read these were used in the civil war - my family were all from the
Spartanburg / Columbia area of South Carolina.

Thanks

[MODERATOR: No photo came through, so possibly the poster would be
able to share a link to some public location, or send more detail
about the piece. ]
Frank
2017-12-28 13:07:56 UTC
#
# I will never likely part with it, as it was my grandfathers then my father's.
# That said, would love to know some of the history behind the firearm and potential value.
#
# I have asked about potentially refinishing... thoughts?
#
# I read these were used in the civil war - my family were all from the
# Spartanburg / Columbia area of South Carolina.
#
# Thanks
#
# [MODERATOR: No photo came through, so possibly the poster would be
# able to share a link to some public location, or send more detail
# about the piece. ]
#

You see such things on Pawn Stars TV show and repairs or new parts
usually subtract from the value. If it works, just cleaning it up is
best. As moderator suggests there are many sites where you can upload a
picture and paste the url to it here.
Just Wondering
2017-12-28 13:07:57 UTC
On 12/27/2017 10:52 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# I recently inherited an antique Remington 1858 (see below) - it won't let me add any pictures.
#
# I will never likely part with it, as it was my grandfathers then my father's.
# That said, would love to know some of the history behind the firearm and potential value.
#
Our local Cabela's has a "gun vault" where it employs an expert
who can answer questions like that. Perhaps there's someone
similar in your area?

# I have asked about potentially refinishing... thoughts?

If you want to retain its value, don't refinish it. Messing with
its patina could severely reduce its value. If you just want it
to look prettier and don't care about its value, follow your heart.
Have the thing cerakoted, or gold plated.
Gunner Asch
2017-12-28 13:07:58 UTC
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 17:52:20 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com
wrote:

#I recently inherited an antique Remington 1858 (see below) - it won't let me add any pictures.
#
#I will never likely part with it, as it was my grandfathers then my father's.
#That said, would love to know some of the history behind the firearm and potential value.
#
#I have asked about potentially refinishing... thoughts?
#
#I read these were used in the civil war - my family were all from the
#Spartanburg / Columbia area of South Carolina.
#
#Thanks
#
# [MODERATOR: No photo came through, so possibly the poster would be
# able to share a link to some public location, or send more detail
# about the piece. ]

1. DO NOT refinish it. Doing so will drop the value 60-70%