M-1 Grand Blue Sky Question
b***@gmail.com
2017-01-22 17:06:51 UTC
On Saturday, February 15, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, rodgera wrote:
# I have a M-1 Grand that has the barrel marked Blue Sky/Arlington ,VA. What
# is the scoop in this rifle? Who imported it. Where might it have come
# from.
# Thanks,
# Rodger

Got an M1 Garand from a fellow shooter that has these markings on it , Al functions well but bore is badly worn I see in the 80s this arm could be bought for 40 bucks whats the skinny now a days A little more, Or less as for value. He wants a trade on a Brazilian light minie rifle that saw service in the CW , From what I have read about this rifle I tink I will keep my Brazilian minne.It has the crest shield on it as per Ohio arm now a southern by owns it!
TheSnipe
2017-01-23 17:46:20 UTC
Blue Sky Was an importer that brought in a number of different model
guns from overseas. General legend has it that they refinished all
the Garand that had been acquire as whole pieces or as parts that were
assembled into whole Garand.

The "Blue Sky" Garand I know were" repatriated" ones from Korea
"lend-lease"... The Garand had been in use over in South Korea on
loan after the Korean War and started coming back to the US. Likely
because they all upgraded to left over Vietnam war era M16s...

I and a friend spent a pleasant time back in '89 at a local Woolworths
in Maryland (White Flint Mall ?) just north of DC going through racks
of them doing some "cherry picking" of parts and came away with a
decent pair of Garands that had some N/M marked parts and decent
everything. Both are still "in-service" and work fine.

It was really odd to me to be in a Woolworths with multiple racks of
surplus rifles at that time - especially in the middle of a suburban
mall !

My understanding is that they are considered really low on the totem
pole of collector's material - as shooters they are fine by my measure
(as long as you watched what you bought - there was a lot of worn out
parts amongst the examples there at that Woolworths) - I did fine with
one using the stock GI sights at a CMP shoot to qualify to buy a
"real" Garand from their program and ended up never bothering.
Ralph Mowery
2017-01-23 19:47:50 UTC
In article <o65fhc$l5u$***@news.albasani.net>, ***@yahoo.com
says...
#
[...]

I remember as a boy where almost all stores had a bin or barrel with
surplus rifles of all kinds in them for very low prices. Then Kennedy
got shot and they all dissapeared. You could even order them for almost
nothing. Forgot the price of the one he was shot with,but think it was
less than $ 20 which might equal $ 200 now. Not bad for one that
included the scope.
Martin Eastburn
2017-01-24 11:22:31 UTC
I do as well. Western Auto had racks out and ammo on the walk up to
shelves. I bought bricks of .22 there. Crazy days now.

I think a lot of this started with Spock babies that were treated like
Kings and Queens - untouchable.

Martin
Gunner Asch
2017-04-04 10:01:18 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:06:51 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#On Saturday, February 15, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, rodgera wrote:
## I have a M-1 Grand that has the barrel marked Blue Sky/Arlington ,VA. What
## is the scoop in this rifle? Who imported it. Where might it have come
## from.
## Thanks,
## Rodger
#
#Got an M1 Garand from a fellow shooter that has these markings on it , Al functions well but bore is badly worn I see in the 80s this arm could be bought for 40 bucks whats the skinny now a days A little more, Or less as for value. He wants a trade on a Brazilian light minie rifle that saw service in the CW , From what I have read about this rifle I tink I will keep my Brazilian minne.It has the crest shield on it as per Ohio arm now a southern by owns it!
"Blue Sky" refer to USGI M1 Garands & M1 Carbines which were imported
into the U.S. from former allies that were given these weapons post
World War II.

I am not sure, but believe the first batch came from South Korea War
Reserves. But, where they came from for the import process is
irrelevant. They were all born in the USAicon.

Blue Sky refers to the required stamping that the importer must stamp
on the weapon. These rifles were stamped with "Blue Sky xxx" (Can't
remember if it was Blue Sky Inc. or something else). They were usually
stamped on the barrel or in some cases, on the receiver. Since the
importer stamped "Blue Sky" on the rifles, folks started referring to
these repatriated rifles as "Blue Sky Rifles".

There are two generally accepted schools of thought regarding these
rifles:

Thought 1: They are original USGI rifles that were given to US allies
and then imported back into the USA. When the importer stamped "Blue
Sky" certain magical mysterious changes occurred in metallurgy that
rendered these weapons suspect. The exact details are classified. If
you are selling one, the Blue Sky Import stamp commands a small
premium. If you are buying one the Blue Sky import stamp is the same
as a shock sensitive explosives label. Touch it and you may die.

Thought 2: The import stamp is of little consequence. It's an original
USGI rifle. If the stamp bothers you, re-barrel the rifle and voila!
Instant collector. It's like it never left the country. However, if
you do change the barrel, please don't post it on the Internet. There
are several thousand folks patiently waiting behind their keyboards to
pounce on you for violating federal law for doing so. Me included.

(Shift S engaged) - Since they have been imported, not a single rifle
has ever had a barrel change, so your chances of encountering a rifle
that was imported as a "Blue Sky" but had its barrel changed is
exactly zero.

That's the nickel tour of the Blue Sky saga.