Stuck muzzle thread protector
s***@mail.com
2018-01-08 18:52:21 UTC
Pretty much as the title says, I have a threaded barrel on a 1911 that I put
the provided thread protector on while using it at a steel competition.
Now it will only unscrew halfway before becoming stuck and going no further.
I've tried using lubricants and a small pipe wrench, but I am leery of using
too much force and damaging the part of the barrel where the link is,
or the threads.

Any suggestions?
Just Wondering

Support your local gunsmith.
Steve W.
2018-01-09 12:49:35 UTC
Just Wondering wrote:
# On 1/8/2018 11:52 AM, ***@mail.com wrote:
# # Pretty much as the title says, I have a threaded barrel on a 1911 that I put
# # the provided thread protector on while using it at a steel competition.
# # Now it will only unscrew halfway before becoming stuck and going no further.
# # I've tried using lubricants and a small pipe wrench, but I am leery of using
# # too much force and damaging the part of the barrel where the link is,
# # or the threads.
# #
# # Any suggestions?
#
# Support your local gunsmith.
#

Yep, about the only way that will come off will be to file/grind it thin
and split it. Then dress the threads.
Steve W.
Peter Franks
2018-01-09 12:49:43 UTC
On 1/8/2018 2:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
# On 1/8/2018 11:52 AM, ***@mail.com wrote:
# # Pretty much as the title says, I have a threaded barrel on a 1911 that I put
# # the provided thread protector on while using it at a steel competition.
# # Now it will only unscrew halfway before becoming stuck and going no further.
# # I've tried using lubricants and a small pipe wrench, but I am leery of using
# # too much force and damaging the part of the barrel where the link is,
# # or the threads.
# #
# # Any suggestions?
#
# Support your local gunsmith.

If not that, heat the thread protector to expand it, and try again
(while hot).
Peter Franks
2018-01-10 00:44:09 UTC
On 1/9/2018 4:49 AM, Steve W. wrote:
# Just Wondering wrote:
# # On 1/8/2018 11:52 AM, ***@mail.com wrote:
# # # Pretty much as the title says, I have a threaded barrel on a 1911 that I put
# # # the provided thread protector on while using it at a steel competition.
# # # Now it will only unscrew halfway before becoming stuck and going no further.
# # # I've tried using lubricants and a small pipe wrench, but I am leery of using
# # # too much force and damaging the part of the barrel where the link is,
# # # or the threads.
# # #
# # # Any suggestions?
# #

What's the issue (id est, what happened to what threads)?
TimR
2018-01-11 18:44:09 UTC
# # Just Wondering wrote:
# # # On 1/8/2018 11:52 AM, ***@mail.com wrote:
# # # # Pretty much as the title says, I have a threaded barrel on a 1911 that I put
# # # # the provided thread protector on while using it at a steel competition.
# # # # Now it will only unscrew halfway before becoming stuck and going no further.
# # # # I've tried using lubricants and a small pipe wrench, but I am leery of using
# # # # too much force and damaging the part of the barrel where the link is,
# # # # or the threads.
# # # #
# # # # Any suggestions?
# # #
# # # Support your local gunsmith.
# # #
# #
# # Yep, about the only way that will come off will be to file/grind it thin
# # and split it. Then dress the threads.
#
# What's the issue (id est, what happened to what threads)?

Then when you put it back on, use Teflon plumbing tape.