annoying buying gun at Cabela's
Frank
2016-11-04 00:53:41 UTC
Getting old with no real need for new pistol I could not pass up a
Taurus .380 on sale for $179 at Delaware Cabela's. Since I also have at
least $50 for free on my Cabela's credit card I figure it would be a
cute little toy.

Tough to get a sales clerk as only two were working and I had to pick a
number which I did not see as I came to counter in back of it. At the
rate they were taking customers I figured it might take over half hour
wait and after pondering leaving someone with several numbers closer
gave me his as he was waiting for something else.

They did have the Taurus but it took clerk over 10 minutes to get it,
show it to me (terrible sights) and take paperwork but this was not
check-out to where he took it and by the time I wandered around it was
10 minutes to get in line there and wait.

Finally got there, they brought out gun, asked for needed id, took
paperwork and then had me put my application in computer. Another wait
and I was called to counter and told FBI computer rejected me. When
asked, they checked and found that my SS number was not issued to Frank
Sr. Maybe my oversight but when I got it over 60 years ago, I was not
even married and Frank Jr. was 10 years off.

At any rate, put all info back in without Sr. waited to be told FBI
computer was down. Did not know when it would be up and I would have to
come back. They said I could pay for the pistol to be put on hold for
me. They said they would not call me and I would have to call them.

I said, you know what, I been here maybe two hours, you want me to go
home and come back calling them, not calling me, so I said, keep it, I
don't need all this bother for a toy.

There was also a guy there from PA that was buying a long gun to save on
sales tax and he would have to come back.

Last time I bought a pistol at local shop, I picked out what I wanted
and they did paper work and took several minutes to find some brass I
wanted and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Local shop tells me that
they undersell Cabela's at their normal pistol prices by $50.
Unfortunately they do not have a huge inventory.

Just thought I's share my experience. I'm sure others feel the same
about Cabela's. Local shop would call me too.
Kevin Bottorff
2016-11-05 14:45:20 UTC
# ...

won`t matter soon. they are sold to Bass pro shop anyway. KB
Just Wondering
2016-11-05 18:23:52 UTC
# # ...
#
# won`t matter soon. they are sold to Bass pro shop anyway. KB
#
It doesn't matter what store it is, or who owns it. Your experience as
a shopper depends on the people working at the store. Helpful &
knowledgeable people = good experience, jerks & ignorant people = bad
experience.
Frank
2016-11-10 01:53:53 UTC
On 11/5/2016 2:23 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
# On 11/5/2016 8:45 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
# # # ...
# # # Just thought I's share my experience. I'm sure others feel the same
# # # about Cabela's. Local shop would call me too.
# #
# # won`t matter soon. they are sold to Bass pro shop anyway. KB
# #
# It doesn't matter what store it is, or who owns it. Your experience as
# a shopper depends on the people working at the store. Helpful &
# knowledgeable people = good experience, jerks & ignorant people = bad
# experience.
#

Gave in to temptation today and got a toy at local shop. Cabela's on
sale would have been slightly cheaper but...
In and out in less than 15 minutes. Told them about Cabela's
experience. They said they would have called me when it got cleared and
I would not have to come in to resubmit it going through the long lines.
They said they have some Cabela's workers that buy guns from them.
Ammo was cheaper too.
Synergy
2017-01-22 13:20:43 UTC
On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 7:53:55 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
# On 11/5/2016 2:23 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
# # On 11/5/2016 8:45 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
# # # # ...
# # # # Just thought I's share my experience. I'm sure others feel the same
# # # # about Cabela's. Local shop would call me too.
# # #
# # # won`t matter soon. they are sold to Bass pro shop anyway. KB
# # #
# # It doesn't matter what store it is, or who owns it. Your experience as
# # a shopper depends on the people working at the store. Helpful &
# # knowledgeable people = good experience, jerks & ignorant people = bad
# # experience.
# #
#
# Gave in to temptation today and got a toy at local shop. Cabela's on
# sale would have been slightly cheaper but...
# In and out in less than 15 minutes. Told them about Cabela's
# experience. They said they would have called me when it got cleared and
# I would not have to come in to resubmit it going through the long lines.
# They said they have some Cabela's workers that buy guns from them.
# Ammo was cheaper too.

So is Cabelas a good place to shop for new shooting toys?

Regards,
Mark "I miss going out to use the neighbors shooting ranges."
Frank
2017-03-01 00:48:01 UTC
On 1/22/2017 8:20 AM, Synergy wrote:
# On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 7:53:55 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
# # On 11/5/2016 2:23 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
# # # On 11/5/2016 8:45 AM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
# # # # # ...
# # # # # Just thought I's share my experience. I'm sure others feel the same
# # # # # about Cabela's. Local shop would call me too.
# # # #
[...]

Just saw comment and thought I'd answer. If toy is on sale and you can
tolerate slow clerks and antiquated background check procedure you could
get a good deal. Could have saved 10% on new toy there as it was on
sale but damned if I would spend another hour - hour and a half and then
have to come back as computer was down. There was a guy in back of me
from PA buying a long gun here in DE as we have no sales tax. He had to
return home because of computer hitch which had apparently also happened
when he bought the gun. For this guy we are talking maybe half a day
wasted. If Cabela's had retained this guys clearance application and
got it approved and called him, he would have avoided a wasted trip.

I have a Cabela's credit card and had accumulated about $80 in free
store credit and returned but only for free ammo and a free pair of
slippers. Items at Cabela's not on sale can be bought cheaper elsewhere.