Shipping rifles out of CA State
Sherman
2017-06-27 19:32:10 UTC
Would like to know law, regulations, and limitations to ship rifles to other states. haven't done that for a while and the law seems to be more restrictions now.

Is USPS, UPS, or FedEx more friendly than the others?

For C&R and other semi-auto types, are there any different law to comply with? I have a C&R license. Should non-C&R, should I have a local gun store do the shipping?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
2017-06-28 00:02:21 UTC
On 6/27/2017 3:32 PM, Sherman wrote:
# C&R license

I don't do a lot of this but had to ship a pistol to Ruger for repair
and had read rules such as on this site:

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

You can only ship to an FFL dealer but I am not familiar with the
antiques license.

It was expensive for me to ship my pistol as I had to Fedex overnight.
They just shipped it back to me. Might have been cheaper to go through
gun shop.

Will be interested in seeing others responses.
6mmRem
2017-06-28 10:01:52 UTC
As a C&R FFL I'm surprised the sales & shipping procedure is not defined for you. You have a C&R FFL so this shouldn't be a problem but check the CA Regs to be safe. I'm sure it is online, probably under CA, DOJ. You should buy a copy of "California Gun Laws" just to know any CA specific regulations
.

UPS seems to be the preferred carrier.

I do not have a FFL of any type, but have shipped rifles from the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia to the manufacturers twice in the last 4 years. One case was a product recall (Remington) and the other was a warranty repair (Mossberg).

In both cases the manufacturer created a Return Authorization (RMA) and provided me with shipping labels/documents. I had them packed and they were shipped via UPS Ground w/o charge to me (I paid for the packaging and insurance). In both cases the rifles were returned directly to me without going through a FFL. (I already owned both rifles so there was no ownership change.) I was able to track both with the supplied UPS data. I was pleased with the service in both cases.

If you are shipping to a manufacturer I would expect they would provide you with the necessary documentation. If this is an out of state sale I would expect the seller to ship to a FFL so the sale is completed w/ background check etc. (Don't give the anti-gun crowd any opportunity to claim a "loophole".)

One final note: I was visiting a friend who holds a C&R FFL about 15 years ago. He lived in a semi remote urban area at the time (it is built up now). The UPS driver left a collectable 1911 on the doorstep w/o getting a signature or leaving one of their Delivery Attempt Post It Notes. Needless to say UPS received a call from my friend the following day. I'm sure the driver got a talking to if not a write-up.

Good Luck!
Sherman
2017-07-06 00:35:56 UTC
#
# Is USPS, UPS, or FedEx more friendly than the others?
#
# For C&R and other semi-auto types, are there any different law to comply with? I have a C&R license. Should non-C&R, should I have a local gun store do the shipping?
#
# Any information is appreciated.
#
# Thanks

Thanks for the information.

The only question I have now is:

If I have the C&R FFL, can I ship a non-C&R rifle to other states or I have to pay a fees to a local business FFL to ship it?

Thanks
Steve W.
2017-07-06 09:22:58 UTC
Sherman wrote:
[...]

Last I knew the C&R only covered C&R designated weapons, "modern" stuff
has to go through a regular FFL dealer. At least that was how it was
explained to me.
Steve W.
Sherman
2017-07-09 09:07:09 UTC
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 2:23:01 AM UTC-7, Steve wrote:
# Sherman wrote:
# # On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:32:14 PM UTC-7, Sherman wrote: #
# # Would like to know law, regulations, and limitations to ship rifles
# # to other states. haven't done that for a while and the law seems to
# # be more restrictions now. # # Is USPS, UPS, or FedEx more friendly
# # than the others? # # For C&R and other semi-auto types, are there any
# # different law to comply with? I have a C&R license. Should non-C&R,
# # should I have a local gun store do the shipping? # # Any information
# # is appreciated. # # Thanks
# #
# # Thanks for the information.
# #
# # The only question I have now is:
# #
# # If I have the C&R FFL, can I ship a non-C&R rifle to other states or
# # I have to pay a fees to a local business FFL to ship it?
# #
# # Thanks
# #
#
# Last I knew the C&R only covered C&R designated weapons, "modern" stuff
# has to go through a regular FFL dealer. At least that was how it was
# explained to me.
#
# --
# Steve W.

Hi Steve, can you elaborate the sources of 'how it was explained to me'? That was exactly what my understandings were. Just want to get a clarification...
Steve W.
2017-07-10 11:30:36 UTC
Sherman wrote:
# On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 2:23:01 AM UTC-7, Steve wrote: # Sherman
# wrote: # # On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:32:14 PM UTC-7, Sherman
# wrote: # # # Would like to know law, regulations, and limitations to
[...]

I was discussing it with a few other FFL holders and reading the
paperwork for the C&R FFL itself. Then I made a call to ATF as a
confirmation. The answer was that unless the item is on the C&R list
OR falls under the definition of a C&R it has to go through a regular FFL.

Does a collectorÂ’s license afford any privileges to the licensee with
respect to acquiring or disposing of firearms other than Curios or
Relics in interstate or foreign commerce?

No. A licensed collector has the same status under the Gun Control Act
(GCA) as a nonlicensee except for transactions in curio or relic firearms.
--
Steve W.