Rec.guns anniversary
News Moderator
2010-11-04 02:42:31 UTC
A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when
Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts to this news group after
taking the role from his predecessor. Every day since, with only a few lapses, the
group has had one (usually several) batches processed. Give or take a few that may
have been processed out but not logged for some reason, this message is post number
1,237,828
on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
vs 9mm question...)

Enjoy,

MODERATOR
rec.guns

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory .308 SOCOM M14 rifle while helping the Cause!
Get your MPFO raffle tickets at http://myguns.org/
Walter Martindale
2010-11-04 23:18:19 UTC
Thanks heaps for all your work - much appreciate your work.
How about one of each, .45 and 9mm?
But which one of each?
Walter

n***@yahoo.com
2010-11-04 23:18:22 UTC
# A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when
# Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts to this news group

# (And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
# vs 9mm question...)

At least we got that revolver vs selfloader thing sorted out.

Thank you for 20 years of convivial moderation.

John Smith
2010-11-04 23:18:24 UTC
Thanks for years of hard work! I've been reading this newsgroup since
about the time you started moderating.

Edubuu
2010-11-04 23:18:27 UTC
Happy Anniversary!

What question? 45acp of course! :-)

Fleep
2010-11-04 23:18:30 UTC
Thank you for your dedication and effort all these years.
When I first got interested in guns the issue was .45ACP > vs .357
magnum...
In the right company that discussion can still get lively....
Dave

Bill Smith
2010-11-04 23:18:32 UTC
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 02:42:31 +0000 (UTC), News Moderator
<***@cs.umd.edu> wrote:

#
#A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when
#Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts to this news group after
#taking the role from his predecessor. Every day since, with only a few lapses, the
#group has had one (usually several) batches processed. Give or take a few that may
#have been processed out but not logged for some reason, this message is post number
# 1,237,828
#on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
#vs 9mm question...)

LOL!

#Enjoy,
#
#MODERATOR
#rec.guns

Congrats, thanks for your hard work.

Bill Smith

MNmineiro
2010-11-04 23:18:34 UTC
Magnum, thanks so much for what you do. We have a eally quality
exchange free of all the nasty flames and things that do happen
otherwise,.

Kevin Snodgrass
2010-11-04 23:18:38 UTC
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 02:42:31 +0000, News Moderator wrote:

# A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November,
# 1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts
# to this news group after taking the role from his predecessor. Every
# day since, with only a few lapses, the group has had one (usually
# several) batches processed. Give or take a few that may have been
# processed out but not logged for some reason, this message is post
# number
# 1,237,828

Wow, 169.449418207 posts per day. (Remember the leap days!)

Does that number include all the spam, troll posts, and other detritus
floating down the stream?

# on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided
# the old .45ACP vs 9mm question...)

.40S&W and/or 10mm beats 'em both!

# MODERATOR
# rec.guns

Three cheers for Magnum!

[MODERATOR: First, thanks - then, answering the question, that
number is how many entries are listed in the 'processed' log.
Yes, I have a copy of everything sent through here... ]

Frank
2010-11-04 23:18:39 UTC
Too humble to let me in with a munged or false address used to cut
down spam.
Baa Humbug to you ;)

Ledgewalker
2010-11-07 08:21:09 UTC
(And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
vs 9mm question...)

~~~~~
Congratulations Jim, your truly a survivor. Thanks to you on watch,
I’m proud to say I’m a humble participant. There were some sessions
out here I’ll remember forever, not to mention some of the most
knowledgeable people, not only with firearms, but life in general.
Without this group that I stumbled upon quite by accident too long ago
to remember, not only raised my awareness within the firearm
community, but also had the privilege to meet some damn good people I
actually called friends, unfortunately some are no longer with us,
while others simply moved on, but I do want to thank you for your
dedication. I’ve burned up many hours out here and can honestly say,
none were wasted...

Thanks Jim, and P.S. I’m still wondering what “ACP" stands for, LOL
(only kidding bud)

Ray, aka RMR

(Si vis pacem
para bellum)

steve
2010-11-08 21:47:33 UTC
Thank you for your work! I have read rec.guns almost from the
beginning. Without your vigilance, this group would have died or
zombied as hundreds of other newsgroups because of spam or flame wars.

Robert Scott
2010-11-09 01:12:46 UTC
Congratulations and thank you very much! This is sure a fine place to hang
out. Your work does not go unnoticed.

As proof of the kind of stuff Magnum has to put up with, I must admit I
accidentally hit the "Reply" button instead of the "Reply to Group" button
the first time I sent this message. :-)
I hate to bomb a busy guy's mailbox unnecessarily....

Thanks again,
desmobob

c***@gmail.com
2010-11-09 20:42:58 UTC
On Nov 3, 6:42 pm, News Moderator <***@cs.umd.edu> wrote:
# A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when
# Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts to this news group after
# taking the role from his predecessor.

Happy 20 years!
You have only been tolerating MY posts since Nov 1995.

aka Clark
aka the old man
aka the man

c***@lycos.com
2010-11-10 15:05:29 UTC
News Moderator <***@cs.umd.edu> wrote:

#And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
#vs 9mm question...)

Simple, buy a 40 S&W like I did and split the difference.

Wes

Jim Rusling
2010-11-11 13:08:12 UTC
***@lycos.com wrote:

#News Moderator <***@cs.umd.edu> wrote:
#
##And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
##vs 9mm question...)
#
#Simple, buy a 40 S&W like I did and split the difference.
#
#Wes

Better yet, get 3 one of each.
--
Jim Rusling

NapalmHeart
2010-11-13 12:18:03 UTC
"News Moderator" <***@cs.umd.edu> wrote in message news:iat6in$3pc$***@news.albasani.net...
#
# A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when
# Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts to this news group after
# taking the role from his predecessor. Every day since, with only a few lapses, the
# group has had one (usually several) batches processed. Give or take a few that may
# have been processed out but not logged for some reason, this message is post number
# 1,237,828
# on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided the old .45ACP
# vs 9mm question...)
#
# Enjoy,
#
# MODERATOR
# rec.guns

Thank you for your service to Usenet and gun knowledge.

Ken

Synergy
2010-11-15 04:45:35 UTC
I was very happy to do a little fund raising for Rec.Guns when Jim
Purtilo was going thru some financial difficulties. I've never
regretted or forgotten why I did so. This is easily the best firearms
Usenet group around. Bar none.

Being gainfully unemployed at this time in my life, and haven't all of
my firearms, ammo, and realoading gteear sold od

d***@gmail.com
2016-03-23 00:26:45 UTC
#1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts
#to this news group after taking the role from his predecessor. Every day
#since, with only a few lapses, the group has had one (usually several)
#batches processed. Give or take a few that may have been processed out but
#not logged for some reason, this message is post number
# 1,237,828
#on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided
#the old .45ACP vs 9mm question...)
#
# Enjoy,
#
# MODERATOR
# rec.guns

A much-belated Thank You to HM for making this such a fantastic resource.

Got to visit more...

Don Baldwin

p.s. The answer is, whichever you can use to hit consistently... :)

[MODERATOR: Appreciate the kind thought. Six years later the .45 v 9
question is no closer to solution though... ]
r***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-03-23 10:03:55 UTC
23 March 2016 at 0:26, ***@gmail.com wrote:
Re: Rec.guns anniversary (at least in part)

#On Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-7, News Moderator wrote:
## A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November,
##1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts
##to this news group after taking the role from his predecessor.

Wonder why no party last year for the 25th (g)

# [MODERATOR: Appreciate the kind thought. Six years later the .45 v 9
# question is no closer to solution though... ]

[MODERATOR: I'm sure we were all out at the range doing field studies
on the .45ACP vs 9mm question...]
Joe Pfeiffer
2016-03-23 22:22:55 UTC
Yes, thank you for your work keeping this group going!

[MODERATOR: Thank *you* for sticking with us. :) ]

***@gmail.com writes:

# On Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-7, News Moderator wrote:
# # A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November,
# #1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts
# #to this news group after taking the role from his predecessor. Every day
# #since, with only a few lapses, the group has had one (usually several)
# #batches processed. Give or take a few that may have been processed out but
# #not logged for some reason, this message is post number
# # 1,237,828
# #on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided
# #the old .45ACP vs 9mm question...)
# #
# # Enjoy,
# #
# # MODERATOR
# # rec.guns
#
Kevin Bottorff
2016-03-24 21:52:18 UTC
Joe Pfeiffer <***@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote in news:ncv4vv$tng$***@news.albasani.net:

# Yes, thank you for your work keeping this group going!
#
# [MODERATOR: Thank *you* for sticking with us. :) ]
#
# ***@gmail.com writes:
#
# # On Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-7, News Moderator
# wrote: # # A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening
# of 3 November, # #1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his
# first digest of posts # #to this news group after taking the role
# from his predecessor.

man am I feeling old now, I remember that!!!!! Thanks so much for your
fantastic diligence to the cause. KB
MR
2016-03-23 14:33:24 UTC
#1990, when Your Humble Moderator distributed his first digest of posts
#to this news group after taking the role from his predecessor. Every day
#since, with only a few lapses, the group has had one (usually several)
#batches processed. Give or take a few that may have been processed out
but
#not logged for some reason, this message is post number
# 1,237,828
#on the current moderator's watch. (And we still haven't fully decided
#the old .45ACP vs 9mm question...)

Thanks for many years of sorting thru those posts. Just wondering how
many posts total showed up for you to sort thru?
MR

[MODERATOR: Lately we get a pretty constant background noise of
spam traffic, maybe a couple dozen per day, but this is chiefly
from the post address being visible, not that some group is
actively dumping traffic into the news system. Overall that is
down from times past, since I think the news hubs do a far
better job any more of filtering crap before it ever gets out
to the relays. Our volume of legit traffic is of course way
under what it was back in the day. 600 live posts per day was
not out of the question though was close to a high water mark;
a steady state of 400 was pretty representative. We're in a far
different world now, where everyone has his own specialty site
for just his topic, and perhaps less interest in a broad level
of fellowship across interest areas.]
Peter Franks
2016-03-24 14:51:54 UTC
On 3/23/2016 7:33 AM, MR wrote:
# We're in a far
# different world now, where everyone has his own specialty site
# for just his topic

And with that has come a complete and total loss of community as a resource.

Usenet was the ultimate in free exchange.
Kevin Bottorff
2016-03-24 21:52:19 UTC
Peter Franks <***@cox.net> wrote in news:nd0uu9$a23$***@news.albasani.net:

# On 3/23/2016 7:33 AM, MR wrote:
# # We're in a far
# # different world now, where everyone has his own specialty site
# # for just his topic
#
# And with that has come a complete and total loss of community as a
# resource.
#
# Usenet was the ultimate in free exchange.

ya I sure miss those days of knowing there would be something interesting
to read every day. KB
6mmRem
2016-03-24 14:51:52 UTC
Moderator,

Keep up the good work.

I agree, both a 9mm or a 45ACP will get the job done. You just have to hit the target consistently!
TimR
2016-03-24 21:52:20 UTC
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 10:51:56 AM UTC-4, 6mmRem wrote:

#
# I agree, both a 9mm or a 45ACP will get the job done. You just have to hit the target consistently!

Which is MUCH easier to do with .22 Mag, and that's plenty with proper placement.

<running for cover>
MR
2016-03-24 21:52:23 UTC
On 3/24/2016 10:51 AM, 6mmRem wrote:
# Moderator,
#
# Keep up the good work.
#
# I agree, both a 9mm or a 45ACP will get the job done. You just have to hit the target consistently!
#

We could start up the discussion again on big and slow vs small and fast.<g>
MR
s***@mail.com

I miss the old days of having one place to go for gun questions and enlightenment.
z***@yahoo.com
2016-07-01 19:52:55 UTC
I remember this group fro the early days, it was about the only gun related board on the net.
I remember the Dillon vs Lee war that lasted for months.
MR
2016-07-02 23:04:22 UTC
On 7/1/2016 3:52 PM, zivendine-***@yahoo.com wrote:
# I remember this group fro the early days, it was about the only gun related board on the net.
# I remember the Dillon vs Lee war that lasted for months.
#
Yes, indeed. Magnum, had to work at keeping the group on focus and
highjackers at bay.
Also, let's no forget the departed..........RIP Flimflam and others I
overlooked.
MR

[MODERATOR: Thanks, and indeed, it's been a while since any mentioned
our old friend Dave Philips (aka "flimflam") so thanks for that
remembrance too!]
c***@gmail.com
2016-07-06 00:48:46 UTC
On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 4:04:25 PM UTC-7, MR wrote:
# On 7/1/2016 3:52 PM, zivendine-***@yahoo.com wrote:
# # I remember this group fro the early days, it was about the only gun related board on the net.
# # I remember the Dillon vs Lee war that lasted for months.
# #
# Yes, indeed. Magnum, had to work at keeping the group on focus and
# highjackers at bay.
# Also, let's no forget the departed..........RIP Flimflam and others I
# overlooked.
# MR
#
# [MODERATOR: Thanks, and indeed, it's been a while since any mentioned
# our old friend Dave Philips (aka "flimflam") so thanks for that
# remembrance too!]

I sold Flim Flam some shotgun parts including a Win 97 receiver. He had an FFL.
The guy I bought the parts from 16 years ago, another FFL, Randy Ketchum of Lynnwood
guns, passed on in 2014.
Synergy
2017-01-22 17:06:50 UTC
On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 2:52:57 PM UTC-5, ***@yahoo.com wrote:
# I remember this group fro the early days, it was about the only gun related board on the net.
# I remember the Dillon vs Lee war that lasted for months.

Stick with Dillon if you shoot a lot, Lee if you just shoot once in a while.

Dillon's higher end reloading presses are hard to beat. The Lee presses are dirt simple and very reliable if you know what you are doing. I guess I wouls say that if I were a competitive shooterm, I'd go Dillon, but if I were a sometime on occasion hunter with a rifle, the Lee might be most cost effective.

It depends on how many rounds you pratice with versus how many you want to be almost perfect at 1000m. The extra steps in the making of a round using a Lee press might be comforting to a long-range shooting competitor. For IPSC, I'll take the Dillon.

Regards,
Mark
z***@yahoo.com
2017-03-01 00:47:59 UTC
Good Grief!! Do I ever remember the Lee-Dillon battle. I even remember the
CEO of Colt posting after the boycott began. For you young-ins. The Colt CEO
was interviewed on 60 Minutes and said he favored a national licensing of
all handgun owners. Colt quickly discovered the power of the internet.

There was also the anti American Online guys. They constantly corrected spelling
and grammar posts of America Online users.

When Rec.guns was in its infancy. There were some pretty tall tales, dangerous
hand load recommendations, claims of shooting hundreds if not thousands
of rounds weekly making them the expert and the "friend of mine" experiences
converting semis to full that were obviously to fairy tales.

Best tall tale I recall was a poster claiming he fire formed 30/06 and 270
factory ammo in a 35 Whelen chamber. When challenged he claimed to have done
it hundreds of times.
c***@gmail.com
2017-07-07 11:47:18 UTC
On Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:42:31 PM UTC-7, News Moderator wrote:
# A bit of history ... It was just this time on the evening of 3 November, 1990, when

I did not get involved until ~1996.

rec.guns has changed my life.

20 years later I have gun parts all over my desk.