Cabela's being bought out by Bass Pro
Frank
2016-10-05 09:30:59 UTC
Funny I had to hear this in another ng.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/business/dealbook/bass-pro-shops-cabelas.html?_r=0

Probably one of the few times you can believe any thing written in NY Times.
Ed Stasiak
2016-10-06 11:53:59 UTC
# Frank
#=20
# http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/business/dealbook/bass-pro-shops-cabelas.html?_r=3D0

I prefer Cabela=E2=80=99s and have mail-ordered a ton of stuff from them over the years
but their two stores here in Michigan are both a couple of hours drive away, the
main store in Dundee and the outlet store in Saginaw, while the Bass-Pro store
is fairly close by in Auburn Hills.

Supposedly Cabela=E2=80=99s is building another store not to far away (Hall Rd./18 Mile)?

On a related note; a few years back, some friends and I went to the Bass Pro
handgun range located in their store and they have the STUPIDEST and most UNSAFE entry
procedures ever.

The gun range is indoors at the back/side of the store but there is no separate
entrance for the range, so shooters lug their gun cases and range bags thru the
front door with everybody else.

Not a big deal, you say? Except once you step into the front atrium, the greeter guy
has you line up in front of his little stand-up desk, where opens all gun cases and
installs a trigger lock on all the handguns before escorting you back to the range...

Dumbest thing I=E2=80=99ve ever seen.

Even the greeter guy was embarrassed by it and agreed it was dangerous, as you=E2=80=99ve
got _firearm handling_ going on right in the main entrance, where regular shoppers
are wandering past, creating a =E2=80=9Ctarget rich environment=E2=80=9D in the event of
a negligent discharge.
Peter Franks
2016-10-06 15:30:45 UTC
#
[...]

I've always assumed the BPS range as a marketing tool, and not a
practical range, and treated it accordingly.

To me it indicates that BPS is serious about selling firearms, nothing
more, nothing less.
Martin Eastburn
2016-10-08 12:41:14 UTC
I agree - check out this gun and check out the customer if they can
shoot this gun without blowing backwards.. to much of a gun or light
frame body.....
In the left coast, they always fire one shot (at least) and provide that
to the local police. Clean and then deliver the 'new' gun to you.
They have to have a place for that task as well.

Martin
Scott M. Kozel
2016-10-08 12:41:15 UTC
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 7:54:02 AM UTC-4, Ed Stasiak wrote:
# # Frank
# #=20
# # http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/business/dealbook/bass-pro-shops-cabelas.html?_r=3D0
#
# I prefer Cabela=E2=80=99s and have mail-ordered a ton of stuff from them over the years
# but their two stores here in Michigan are both a couple of hours drive away, the
# main store in Dundee and the outlet store in Saginaw, while the Bass-Pro store
# is fairly close by in Auburn Hills.

So are Cabela's stores going to change their name?

We have one of each in the Richmond VA region.
Ed Stasiak
2016-10-08 23:49:11 UTC
# Scott M. Kozel
#
# So are Cabela's stores going to change their name?=20

I=E2=80=99m thinking not, as they=E2=80=99ve got a lot of customer loyalty =
behind that name.

Cabelas will probably the hunting oriented store and Bass Pro the fishing
store, with both sharing product lines like clothes, boots and such?

This will probably result in management trying to increase profit margins
by cutting corners, with a decline in quality of the better Cabelas gear.
Frank
2016-10-08 12:41:16 UTC
# I've always assumed the BPS range as a marketing tool, and not a
# practical range, and treated it accordingly.
#
# To me it indicates that BPS is serious about selling firearms, nothing
# more, nothing less.
Interesting comments as I have never been to a BPS and had assumed that
major emphasis was fishing vs shooting sports for Cabela's. I had
bought mail order both companies and neither shows the plethora of
firearms that they sell in their stores as I see at local Cabela's.