Beretta Silver Snipe action disassembly
Joe Pfeiffer
2016-09-22 21:53:05 UTC
Anybody around here have any experience with this old gun? I'm having
occasional light primer strikes so I'd like to take a look at the firing
pins. I'm stymied right at the start of the disassembly process; I can
get the safety/selector off and remove the screw under that, and I can
get the pin out from the lower front that appears to hold the trigger
group to the receiver. But once I've done that... can't get the trigger
group to separate from the receiver. Anybody have any ideas about the
secret I'm missing?

This part of the receiver looks similar to the current-production 686,
except the 686 uses a screw coming in from the bottom to hold the
trigger group to the receiver (instead of the pin I've got) -- and
there's a video for that one at youtube that shows it coming apart
easily when the screws are removed...
Martin Eastburn
2016-09-23 14:49:41 UTC
What brand are you using, size and what caliber is the gun. That will
bring on more response.
e.g.
Some have problems with CCI as they are harder.
Martin

# pins.
Joe Pfeiffer
2016-09-23 16:04:36 UTC

#
# On 9/22/2016 4:53 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
# # Anybody around here have any experience with this old gun? I'm having
# # occasional light primer strikes so I'd like to take a look at the firing
# # pins.

I'm seeing it both with my reloads (I do use CCI primers) and with
Federal. It's a 12ga.

There is really more to the story: Some screws in the action were very
loose (in particular, the screw under the barrel release lever was loose
enough it wasn't reliably releasing), so I'd taken it to a gunsmith to
tighten it up. The problem started when I got it back from them, so I'm
reasonably confident something odd is going on with the firing pins. I
took it back to them; after hanging on to the gun for over two months
they told me they couldn't reproduce the problem, so there's not much
point in taking it back to them again (or any other gun, ever again!).

It's definitely a problem with light strikes: when it fires normally I
get a nice, deep impression in the primer; on the misfires I can see a
really tiny dimple in the primer. So far, second try on a shell has
been good every time. I'm getting around 1-2 misfires per box of 25
shells, and it's happening on both barrels. My guess is something is
rattling around loose in the firing pins that's occasionally getting
into position to block them.

So -- the original question was, does anyone know how to separate the
trigger group on a Beretta Silver Snipe from the receiver?