CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit
Ken
2003-07-11 13:18:26 UTC
"Ed" <***@commspeed.net> wrote in message news:bektlk$jku$***@grapevine.wam.umd.edu...
# Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
# were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
# searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed

Not sure if CVA made a kit, but I just got a new products newletter from
Dixie Gun Works, and there are three styles that come in .32 .45 and .50
cals, flint or perc, and kit or complete made by Pedersoli.
The styles are the Kentucky rifle, the Pennsylvania rifle, and the Scout
Carbine. I'm thinking about getting the Carbine myself. The prices for a .45
kit are: $290, $350, and $297 respectivly. You might give them a call and
get the flier and or cataloge. They have many kits in thier catalog also
(but not a CVA .45, I checked).

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.com
David Rogers
2003-07-12 00:29:38 UTC
Yep. I have one in .45. My brother and I bought the kit circa 1978
at K-Mart or Woolco for about $75. Took us a year to get around to
putting it together. Pretty good shooting kit gun out to about 50
yards. I still have it in my gun safe and my boys like to get it out
now and then to shoot.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.com
k***@gmail.com
2016-04-24 10:33:36 UTC
Yes!32,where word for rabbit and squirrel and the 45 in the 50 caliber wolf for deer and self-defense
Gunner Asch
2016-04-25 10:42:11 UTC
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 10:33:36 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#Yes!32,where word for rabbit and squirrel and the 45 in the 50 caliber wolf for deer and self-defense

Decent enough kits..a bit iffy when trying to match the 2 piece forend
together. Ive built a number of CVA kits over the years..with good
sucess and they work quite well and reliably. Mostly the Mountain
Rifle/Hawken types.

Keep in mind that most..most of the CVA kits were rifled for round
ball only, and have a rate of twist that is too slow for conicals. The
Lee "REAL" bullet is "ok" in them as its fairly short, but you wont
win any shooting contests with em, but ...shrug.

Some of the Lyman and Pedersoli kits were pretty darned good rifles
with some being for round ball..others for conicals.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/muzzleloader-kits.html
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_192&products_id=2545

etc etc

I think CVA stopped selling "build it yourself" kits about 20 yrs ago
when " vintage muzzle loading" stopped being so popular.
They also have had some horrific product recalls with their later
"inline" rifles
http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_muzzleloaders.htm

I stumbled across this while writing this response..and I actually
AGREE with the Oregon law. Its supposed to be a primitive sport...not
just another type of modern rifle. Shrug

http://www.chuckhawks.com/limber_ramrod_2006.htm

Gunner
Frank
2016-04-25 12:24:00 UTC
On 4/24/2016 6:33 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# Yes!32,where word for rabbit and squirrel and the 45 in the 50 caliber wolf for deer and self-defense
#
I put together a rifled 45 CVA flintlock maybe 40 years ago. Cute over
the fireplace, does not shoot very accurately (at least for me) and
trigger kind of loose and clunky.

Took it out this past January as I was uncertain what weapon I could use
for late PA deer season. I hunt in a nearby park where only primitive
weapons are allowed. Others had in-line muzzle loaders so I did not use
it after that one day. The iron sights on my CVA are atrocious and with
my old eyes, I would have had trouble using them even in full daylight.

At the time, the kit only cost me ~$100, was fun to put together (wood
sanding and finishing and bluing barrel). Looks nice over fire place
but I would not call it a gun to hunt with.
Gunner Asch
2016-04-26 00:22:27 UTC
Ive taken MANY deer, coyotes, at least 5 Russian boar, a gazillion
rabbits and ground squirrels with the CVAs. My CVA Mountain Rifles
will shoot a 1"-1.5" 3 shot group at 50 yrds all day long. That
being said..they do require some load development and proper loading
techniques. I have one that is a freaking tack driver as long as I
use a round ball, a .008 patch and between 50-65grs of 3x powder. All
day long. With a wet swab every 10 or so shots. Any changes..and the
groups go out to 3" at 50 yrds.

One of the others loves the old plastic "sabot/wad" gizmos..I still
have a few bags of them. Folks scream DONT USE THEM!! as if they
used a smaller ball..it may fall out of the cup thingy and roll
partially down the barrel and you get a bore obstruction (which Ive
tried..with no noticable ill effects)

I cant remember what the hell the name of them are...but its a double
cup, ball sized on each end. Grab one, stick a ball in it, stuff it
down the barrel and voila...shoots just fine.

Anyone remember what the hell the name of them were..and why they fell
out of favor?

Gunner
Frank
2016-04-26 20:18:23 UTC
On 4/25/2016 8:22 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]
I did not work on the load but believe the rifling twist may be lower
than my in line or Hawken which shoot minnies very well.

Besides flintlock ignition which is more iffy, the sights are a big
problem for me. I have early stage AMD and dominant eye is dimmer
besides my CVA sights being atrocious.

I bought the kit because it was cheap and I knew I had a place for it
over a fireplace and also wanted to mess with a flintlock but when it
comes to hunting, I'll use the best weapon allowed. I also have taken
many deer with black powder.
Gunner Asch
2016-05-01 20:25:27 UTC
#I did not work on the load but believe the rifling twist may be lower
#than my in line or Hawken which shoot minnies very well.
#
#Besides flintlock ignition which is more iffy, the sights are a big
#problem for me. I have early stage AMD and dominant eye is dimmer
#besides my CVA sights being atrocious.

Sights are very easy to replace. Do you have enough vision for a nice
fat peep sight?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/wgrs-m-l-fits-muzzleloader-w-octagon-barrels-sku962100770-16154-36268.aspx

#
#I bought the kit because it was cheap and I knew I had a place for it
#over a fireplace and also wanted to mess with a flintlock but when it
#comes to hunting, I'll use the best weapon allowed. I also have taken
#many deer with black powder.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sights_scopes.htm

ALL....all of my lever guns have peep sights. As do a significant
number of my cartridge arms. My fastest shooting out to 100 yrds or
so is via peep sights, often with the "peep" insert unscrewed and just
using the hole in the rear sight as a ghost ring. I strongly!!
recommend them more for this type of shooting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/696612/williams-wgrs-m-l-guide-receiver-peep-sight-octagon-barrels-flat-base-aluminum-black

If you want to get fancy...add a front sight as well....

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1184116846/williams-fire-sight-rifle-bead

They really...really make a huge difference, particularly as some of
us get older. Me...Im permanantly at 35...so there!

Gunner, hatched in 1953
m***@gmail.com
2016-08-06 08:59:42 UTC
On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 7:42:44 PM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
# Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
# were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
# searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed

I don't know about CVA but I have a Kentucky long rile Japan made called Ultra Hi. It
shoots very well. I built the kit about 40 years ago. It has claimed 4 White Tail Deer.
It has iron buck horn sights. I like it very much. Hope this helps you. Larry J.
Gunner Asch
2016-08-07 09:54:27 UTC
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 08:59:42 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 7:42:44 PM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
## Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
## were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
## searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed
#
#I don't know about CVA but I have a Kentucky long rile Japan made called Ultra Hi. It
#shoots very well. I built the kit about 40 years ago. It has claimed 4 White Tail Deer.
#It has iron buck horn sights. I like it very much. Hope this helps you. Larry J.

The CVA Kentucky kits came in both 32 and .45 caliber IRRC. The
..45 fired a .440 ball with a standard pillow ticking patch.

The CVA Mountain Rifle kits typically were .50, 54, 58

Gunner, who built all of them at one time or another
Frank
2016-08-06 11:50:07 UTC
On 8/6/2016 4:59 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 7:42:44 PM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
# # Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
# # were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
# # searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed
#
# I don't know about CVA but I have a Kentucky long rile Japan made called Ultra Hi. It
# shoots very well. I built the kit about 40 years ago. It has claimed 4 White Tail Deer.
# It has iron buck horn sights. I like it very much. Hope this helps you. Larry J.
#

I have an Ultra Hi Hawken without set trigger bought about 40 years ago.
Took several deer with it but about 20 years ago the lock broke.
No local replacement and I could not find a trace of the company on the
internet so as my only hunting BP gun I bought an inline to save the
season. Sent the lock to Dixie Gun Works who promptly repaired it for
what I felt was a very low cost, maybe $14 at the time.

Good thing to keep in mind for any gun or anything you buy is getting
replacement parts or fixing if something breaks.
Frank
2016-08-07 00:15:09 UTC
On 8/6/2016 7:50 AM, Frank wrote:
# On 8/6/2016 4:59 AM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# # On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 7:42:44 PM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
# # # Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
# # # were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
# # # searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed
# #
[...]

Reminded me of one of my favorite pictures of my youngest son holding
this gun nearly 40 years ago:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=14dzpjr&s=9#.V6Zvu61oB4I
h***@gmail.com
2016-10-31 11:30:17 UTC
On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 4:42:44 PM UTC-7, Ed wrote:
# Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
# were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
# searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed

Hi, as usual many of the responses are not correct. I have a CVA Kentucky
in .45 Cal and made the kit 20 years ago before 50's became popular. I still
hunt with this rifle and have taken 5 deer with it. They are no longer made
but some still show up in the internet.
Gunner Asch
2016-11-01 11:33:46 UTC
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:30:17 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 4:42:44 PM UTC-7, Ed wrote:
## Hi, can anyone tell me if these CVA Kentucky Percussion rifle kits
## were ever available in .45 caliber? All that I can find for sale in
## searching google are .50 cal. Thanks, Ed
#
#Hi, as usual many of the responses are not correct. I have a CVA Kentucky
#in .45 Cal and made the kit 20 years ago before 50's became popular. I still
#hunt with this rifle and have taken 5 deer with it. They are no longer made
#but some still show up in the internet.

Ayup..,the Kentucky and Pennsylvania (sp) kits were in 45..the
mountain man rifles were generally (though not always) in 50, 54, and
58 calibers.

I have at least 3 of the 50s, and one of the Kentucky flinters