Shotgun Confetti
Pavel Svinchnik
2018-02-24 18:44:48 UTC
One of the guys at the local trap range likes to surprise us by occasionally bringing shells
he's hand loaded with black powder. They produce a heck of a bang and lots of smoke, which is
quite startling when you don't expect it.

Someone commented that he should mix some confetti or glitter in with the shot to produce an
even more entertaining effect. Could that lead to clogging the barrel or other bad effects?

Paul
pyotr filipivich
2018-02-24 23:14:38 UTC
Pavel Svinchnik <***@jhmi.edu> on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:44:48 +0000
(UTC) typed in rec.guns the following:
#
#Someone commented that he should mix some confetti or glitter in with the shot to produce an
#even more entertaining effect. Could that lead to clogging the barrel or other bad effects?

My concern would be whether the glitter is flammable.

I once talked with a guy who had a small "signal" cannon, who had
been present when an associate decided to "improve" the smoke cloud by
adding a bag of flour as the shot, no doubt thinking "white flour" ->
big cloud of white powder, impressive visuals. He'd forgotten that
flour is combustible, very combustible, The result was a much louder
report, a huge tongue of flame, and a smoke cloud to end all smoke
clouds. And the reek of burnt toast filled the land.

So, yeah, depends on if the glitter is combustible.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Just Wondering
2018-02-25 16:36:56 UTC
# Pavel Svinchnik <***@jhmi.edu> on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:44:48 +0000
# (UTC) typed in rec.guns the following:
# #One of the guys at the local trap range likes to surprise us by occasionally bringing shells
# #he's hand loaded with black powder. They produce a heck of a bang and lots of smoke, which is
# #quite startling when you don't expect it.
# #
# #Someone commented that he should mix some confetti or glitter in with the shot to produce an
# #even more entertaining effect. Could that lead to clogging the barrel or other bad effects?

I'd guess that most of the combustion happens outside the barrel.

# My concern would be whether the glitter is flammable.
#
# I once talked with a guy who had a small "signal" cannon, who had
# been present when an associate decided to "improve" the smoke cloud by
# adding a bag of flour as the shot, no doubt thinking "white flour" ->
# big cloud of white powder, impressive visuals. He'd forgotten that
# flour is combustible, very combustible, The result was a much louder
# report, a huge tongue of flame, and a smoke cloud to end all smoke
# clouds. And the reek of burnt toast filled the land.

How about loading a shotshell with coffee creamer?

Peter Franks
2018-02-28 00:51:28 UTC
On 2/24/2018 10:44 AM, Pavel Svinchnik wrote:
# One of the guys at the local trap range likes to surprise us by occasionally bringing shells
# he's hand loaded with black powder. They produce a heck of a bang and lots of smoke, which is
# quite startling when you don't expect it.
#
# Someone commented that he should mix some confetti or glitter in with the shot to produce an
# even more entertaining effect. Could that lead to clogging the barrel or other bad effects?

Clog barrel, probably not.

But...

If you are shooting a semi-auto, you run the risk of clogging gas
ports/tubes, or even the action.

I'd consider it for an old break-action that I didn't care about, but
one of my regular bang-sticks, forget it.
Frank
2018-03-07 00:13:17 UTC
On 2/24/2018 1:44 PM, Pavel Svinchnik wrote:
# One of the guys at the local trap range likes to surprise us by occasionally bringing shells
# he's hand loaded with black powder. They produce a heck of a bang and lots of smoke, which is
# quite startling when you don't expect it.
#
# Someone commented that he should mix some confetti or glitter in with the shot to produce an
# even more entertaining effect. Could that lead to clogging the barrel or other bad effects?
#
# Paul
#
Such horsing around would not have been tolerated at club where I shot
trap. We had a team member shooting old paper shells that were behaving
like they were loaded with confetti. He also had a lot of misfires. He
was told to ditch the shells if he wanted to continue to shoot trap.