web forums and newsgroups for firearms and air guns
a***@gmail.com
2017-12-29 13:30:40 UTC
rec.guns seems quite dead

Are there any active newsgroups for firearms or airguns?

There must be some web forums, I'm particularly looking for ones which are UK based.

What's happened to this group? It used to have a lot of traffic years ago.

[MODERATOR: To my knowledge, this remains the sole newsgroup for tech talk
about firearms. Why is volume down? A reasonable guess is "web sites". We
resisted sub-groups here for years, chiefly arguing that the only way the
community would remain a community is if we shared a single (digital) home
that everyone checked; we would Balkanize overwise. We never split up here
but those who only want to listen to the sound of voices like theirs split
off to different technology. There is a web site for every specialization.
And indeed, overall we have less community for it.

We're still here. Post away! ]
Gunner Asch
2017-12-29 16:21:08 UTC
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:30:40 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com
wrote:

#rec.guns seems quite dead
#
[...]

I check it every day as part of my "Internet Ritual"

(Grin)
TimR
2017-12-29 16:21:09 UTC
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 8:30:43 AM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# rec.guns seems quite dead
#
# Are there any active newsgroups for firearms or airguns?
#

Over the years I've learned a lot from lurking here, making the rare opinionated post. There are some very active forums on line but not being an AR-15 enthusiast they have little interest for me.

There is a very active airgun forum on network54 called the Yellow Forum, I guess because of the background color. there's a lot of expertise there, much of it in precharged or tuning, a little field target and hunting, not much on ISU stuff.
a***@gmail.com
2017-12-30 13:54:16 UTC
# There is a very active airgun forum on network54 called the Yellow Forum, I guess because of the background color. there's a lot of expertise there, much of it in precharged or tuning, a little field target and hunting, not much on ISU stuff.

I created an account for network54 and searched for "airgun". It threw up around 20 forums, but nothing for "Yellow Forum".

How would I find the "Yellow Forum"? Which of the other forums is particularly active?
TimR
2018-01-03 23:51:03 UTC
On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 8:54:18 AM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# # There is a very active airgun forum on network54 called the Yellow Forum, I guess because of the background color. there's a lot of expertise there, much of it in precharged or tuning, a little field target and hunting, not much on ISU stuff.
#
# I created an account for network54 and searched for "airgun". It threw up around 20 forums, but nothing for "Yellow Forum".
#
# How would I find the "Yellow Forum"? Which of the other forums is particularly active?

This is the one I use:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537
a***@gmail.com
2018-01-09 12:49:57 UTC
On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 11:51:06 PM UTC, TimR wrote:

# This is the one I use:
#
# http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537

Is there a forum on network54 for firearms in general, rather than just airguns?
a***@gmail.com
2018-01-13 20:59:41 UTC
for TimR <***@aol.com>

what is your email address? "***@aol.com" bounces, no such email account.

[MODERATOR: Historically we don't carry traffic intended for only one
person in the readership, but I guess our volume is low these days.
Maybe this person TimR will respond directly to Alan.]
TimR
2018-01-15 21:47:20 UTC
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 3:59:44 PM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# for TimR <***@aol.com>
#
# what is your email address? "***@aol.com" bounces, no such email account.
#
# [MODERATOR: Historically we don't carry traffic intended for only one
# person in the readership, but I guess our volume is low these days.
# Maybe this person TimR will respond directly to Alan.]

Yes. That's an old email address. I'll send a note to Alan.

[MODERATOR: Later he posts ... ]

Well, Alan's email address seems to be blocked as well. I have no objection to corresponding
but do not lightly reveal the current email address to the world.

[MODERATOR: Well, I guess that leaves us back with the long standing practice
of inviting our readers to post messages of broad interest. ]

r***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-12-30 13:54:15 UTC
29 December 2017 at 13:30, ***@gmail.com wrote:
web forums and newsgroups for firearms and air gu (at least in part)

#I'm particularly looking for ones which are UK based.

Sorry cant help much, but it would be nice to have a little more input from our
small island, as we understand the problems of ownership, that our western
cousins may not.

I would like to find a local source of small batch bullets**, last I asked I
was refered to "the back pages of Guns & Ammo" whilst a nice read (if you don't
mind seeing stuff we can never have) it doesn't help much

**
batches of 50-100 Jacketed or Scrappered .50 bullets, in weights 300 to 350gr,
at the moment I use 325gr JFN, JRN, ScLFN, ScLRN all shoot well, some are
easier to chamber than others, but would like to experiment a bit more
Gunner Asch
2017-12-31 11:00:16 UTC
On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 13:54:15 +0000 (UTC), ***@yahoo.co.uk

#29 December 2017 at 13:30, ***@gmail.com wrote:
#web forums and newsgroups for firearms and air gu (at least in part)
#
##I'm particularly looking for ones which are UK based.
#
#Sorry cant help much, but it would be nice to have a little more input from our
#small island, as we understand the problems of ownership, that our western
#cousins may not.
#
#I would like to find a local source of small batch bullets**, last I asked I
#was refered to "the back pages of Guns & Ammo" whilst a nice read (if you don't
#mind seeing stuff we can never have) it doesn't help much
#**
#batches of 50-100 Jacketed or Scrappered .50 bullets, in weights 300 to 350gr,
#at the moment I use 325gr JFN, JRN, ScLFN, ScLRN all shoot well, some are
#easier to chamber than others, but would like to experiment a bit more

Can you order bullets from the US? There are a goodly number of
jacketed .50 cals in your range, designed to be used in the Smith and
Wesson 500 Magnum

Of course you can order bullet molds for lead bullets easily enough.
Im not familiar with the term "Scrappered" ???

The 50 S&W uses a .500 bullet. Other sizes are available from various
makers...the .510 bullets used in the 500 Linebaugh as an example

Gunner
s***@mail.com
2017-12-31 11:00:18 UTC
Unfortunately for our friends in the U.K., most of the readers and posters here will be from the US, and a number won't check the posting e-mail or note the poster is specifying the U.K.

I'd help, but I have almost no knowledge of airguns or bullet availability in the U.K.

I do miss the number of postings of years back. I still check in daily, and if I have a question, post it here first. Which reminds me, I need to post something.