PA state police sidearm
Frank
2018-04-27 18:48:23 UTC
I live in northern DE and my shooting club is in PA.

Talking to a PA state cop yesterday practicing for his qualification I
found they changed their sidearm from a Glock .45GAP to a Sig .45:

http://www.guns.com/2014/07/07/pennsylvania-state-police-select-sig-p227-for-duty/

Did not realize that it was a few years ago as I recall a guy at the
range picking up so much .45GAP brass that it prompted him to buy the
Glock for it.

Cop said they may go back to 9mm's with today's ammo nearly as good as .45.
Ralph Mowery
2018-04-27 23:19:30 UTC
In article <pbvr9m$kus$***@news.albasani.net>, ***@frank.net says...
#
# I live in northern DE and my shooting club is in PA.
#
# Talking to a PA state cop yesterday practicing for his qualification I
# found they changed their sidearm from a Glock .45GAP to a Sig .45:
#
# http://www.guns.com/2014/07/07/pennsylvania-state-police-select-sig-p227-for-duty/
#
# Did not realize that it was a few years ago as I recall a guy at the
# range picking up so much .45GAP brass that it prompted him to buy the
# Glock for it.
#
# Cop said they may go back to 9mm's with today's ammo nearly as good as .45.

Sometimes I think government agencies just change guns/ammo just because
another person becomes incharge and wants a change just so he can say he
did something, kickback, or has it in his head that something else is
better.

Most of the police seldom hit what they are shooting at the firsr few
times anyway. Some are very good, but most are not. I have watched them
shoot at the local gun club.

Worst I ever saw was one at a friends house that had a target range. We
were shooting and an officer came up with a new Remmington 30/06
autoloader with open sights, I think it was a 742 but not sure. He
emptied a magazine at a man size target at about 20 yards and missed it
one time, just in the edge 2 times and aonther round some what close to
the middle. He did that 2 times and said the gun was no good. Three of
us that were there shot the gun , one could be covered with a silver
dollor or less, one slightly larger,and the last was shot rapid fire and
was no larger than a hand print. The gun owner tried again,and he still
was all over the target.
Frank
2018-04-28 21:34:49 UTC
On 4/27/2018 7:19 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
# In article <pbvr9m$kus$***@news.albasani.net>, ***@frank.net says...
# #
[...]
I agree on both counts.

Someone said the gun manufacturers know which politicians to influence
and give them free samples to help convince them.

Also have seen a lot of police shooting at our club and most are good
but some not. I even had to point out range safety violations to a couple.

The PA state trooper told me that qualification was a total of 60 rounds
at distances from 2 to 25 yards and they needed a score of so many
points on the graded man sized silhouette targets. Did not sound
difficult to me.

I'm reminded of three family members I took to the range with their new
pistols and all three emptied their magazines at the 10 yard targets I
set up, maybe 15X15 inches, missing the target completely. I took their
guns and emptied the magazine hitting the target every time and they
were guns I was unfamiliar with. All had shot a bit before so maybe
like your cop, it was a gun completely new to them. Still hard to
believe for us that like to shoot.
Ralph Mowery
2018-04-29 12:12:40 UTC
In article <pc2pdp$pg6$***@news.albasani.net>, "frank "@frank.net says...
#
# I'm reminded of three family members I took to the range with their new
# pistols and all three emptied their magazines at the 10 yard targets I
# set up, maybe 15X15 inches, missing the target completely. I took their
# guns and emptied the magazine hitting the target every time and they
# were guns I was unfamiliar with. All had shot a bit before so maybe
# like your cop, it was a gun completely new to them. Still hard to
# believe for us that like to shoot.

That gun was totally new to me. I had never shot a high power
autoloader, just bolt actions. Shooting as fast as I could get the
sights on target just to see how faast it would be only made a group
about hand size. I can see how different people look at sights
different, but the size of the group should be small even if it way off
the center.

I had a new S&W sport 2 AR 5.56 with a red dot on it at the range a few
months back. Had it shooting reasonable groups center for me at 100
yards. A friend came up that shoots much better than I do. I may only
shoot a red dot a few times a year and he shoots one atleast once a
month, and open sights weekly. While he had a much smaller group than I
did, it took about a magazine full for him to get on a piece of computer
paper, then he had great groups.

If I were a police man, you could bet that I would be able to shoot
reasonably well. When your life may be on the line, you want all the
edge you can get. I worked as an electrician in a large plant, while
working with anything I tried to make sure I was as safe as possiable as
my life could be on line almost every day. Working inches away from a
wire with 480 volts on it and sometimes about 1/2 of an inch in diameter
you do not get very many second chances.