Replacement bolt assembly for Remington 788 in .308 Win.
e***@eric-e.com
2017-04-12 00:00:33 UTC
On Thursday, July 23, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, BEN267 wrote:
# I have a just-completed bench gun barreled on a Rem 788. The bolt handle fell
# off when I was extracting a stuck dummy round. My gunsmith wasn't up to it,
# apparently, and his fix didn't work...bolt is probably ruined.
#
# I have already called Gun Parts Corp, and all they would do was promise to
# check their warehouse..2 weeks.
#
# Can anyone suggest a possible other source for a replacement bolt?
#
# My barreled action and custom stock are useless without it, and the entire
# project will have to be scrapped, about $1,000 gone.
#
# I would be very grateful if someone might email a suggestion.
#
# Thanks so much.
#
# Ben Updegrove
# ***@aol.com

Any luck finding that bolt assembly, Ben? I'm looking for exactly the same thing.
If you have any ideas, could you let me know? I'd be VERY grateful. Eric E. ***@eric-e.com

[MODERATOR: The base note is another oldie but maybe one of the
faithful here today can help Eric out. ]
Gunner Asch
2017-04-12 22:00:17 UTC
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 00:00:33 +0000 (UTC), ***@eric-e.com wrote:

#On Thursday, July 23, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, BEN267 wrote:
## I have a just-completed bench gun barreled on a Rem 788. The bolt handle fell
## off when I was extracting a stuck dummy round. My gunsmith wasn't up to it,
## apparently, and his fix didn't work...bolt is probably ruined.
##
[...]

One could send the bolt back to Reminton for repair/replacement.

Now it really depends on in what fashion the bolt broke. Got a pic?

Gunner
Gunner Asch
2017-04-12 22:00:18 UTC
[...]

Ive been told that these people will likely have one and can fit it.
You probably wont much like the price..but it will be far far cheaper
than scrapping the rifle.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/

And of course..depending on how and where the break is..it may be it
can easily be TIG welded back togethe by someone who knows what they
are doing. It is quite close to the locking lugs...so....

Gunner