357 Sig Reloading Data
Jan Montgomery
2011-09-06 11:51:59 UTC
I am in need of reloading data for the 357 Sig round using the berrys
124 Grain Flat Point Bullet, the powders I have on hand right now
include Bullseye and Unique although I have been told that Accurate #9
makes a good powder for this round, please include any other powders
that you have had good experiences with. Please include Minimum OAL as
well as all other pertinent information. I know it's kind of stupid to
ask for this information over tyhe internet, but I've spent the b
etter half of the day looking in various places for a load using this
bullet because I can buy it relatively cheaply.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Gerald "Brick" Brickwood
2011-09-07 00:29:26 UTC
Are you using the plated or hard cast? If cast you may use the data for any
cast lead 124 gr bullet in that caliber. Begin at the starting load and
work up until you get the performance you want.

If you are using Berry's plated here is what the Berry's FAQ says:

"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets.
They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated
bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in
the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and
profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not
use magnum loads."

Note especially the "low to mid-range" part in this case originating from
jacketed bullet data for bullets of the same weight for that caliber again
starting load and work up.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
c***@gmail.com
2011-09-10 22:39:47 UTC
I have worked up 124 gr Berry's in 357 Sig with Longshot.
The max published is 9.3 gr, and I got to 11.8 gr before the primer was falling out.

Think the reason for keeping Berry's bullet loads low is that the bullets will spin the jacket off. With hot load in 10mm I have seen lots little holes in the paper target. I think those little holes were pieces of the jackets.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
s***@prolynx.com
2011-09-11 12:45:22 UTC
#
# Think the reason for keeping Berry's bullet loads low is that the bullets=
will spin the jacket off. With hot load in 10mm I have seen lots little ho=
les in the paper target. I think those little holes were pieces of the jack=
ets.
#

More likely, pieces of the bullet. There is no "jacket" on those
plated slugs, just a very thin layer of copper to eliminate exposed
lead and that's over a dead-soft lead slug. Any decent plating job
will have the layer bonded to the slug underneath, might be what you
had WASN'T a decent plating job. In any case, those plated bullets
are only intended for midrange loads, just like any other dead-soft
swaged slug with no jacket. Spin it fast enough and it'll come
apart. The intent isn't to replace jacketed bullets, the intent is to
reduce airborne lead.

Stan

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
y***@gmail.com
2016-09-04 17:26:36 UTC
On Saturday, September 10, 2011 at 5:39:47 PM UTC-5, ***@gmail.com wrote:
# I have worked up 124 gr Berry's in 357 Sig with Longshot.
# The max published is 9.3 gr, and I got to 11.8 gr before the primer was falling out.
#
# Think the reason for keeping Berry's bullet loads low is that the bullets will spin
# the jacket off. With hot load in 10mm I have seen lots little holes in the paper target.
# I think those little holes were pieces of the jackets.

just keep it up and you will see tiny parts of you gun too.
be smart ..a temp change while shooting can give a big bang also ..
Robert
2011-09-07 00:29:32 UTC
"Jan Montgomery" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:j451gv$g7h$***@news.albasani.net...
#I am in need of reloading data for the 357 Sig round using the berrys
# 124 Grain Flat Point Bullet, the powders I have on hand right now
# include Bullseye and Unique although I have been told that Accurate #9
# makes a good powder for this round, please include any other powders
# that you have had good experiences with. Please include Minimum OAL as
# well as all other pertinent information. I know it's kind of stupid to
# ask for this information over tyhe internet, but I've spent the b
# etter half of the day looking in various places for a load using this
# bullet because I can buy it relatively cheaply.

Berry faq

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

trubble
2011-09-08 01:55:25 UTC

#124 Grain Flat Point Bullet, the powders I have on hand right now
#include Bullseye and Unique although I have been told that Accurate #9
#makes a good powder for this round, please include any other powders
#that you have had good experiences with. Please include Minimum OAL as
#well as all other pertinent information. I know it's kind of stupid to
#ask for this information over tyhe internet, but I've spent the b
#etter half of the day looking in various places for a load using this
#bullet because I can buy it relatively cheaply.

AA9 is a pretty slow powder for the relatively light bullets, and
relatively short barrels (about 4") that the 357 Sig uses.

Probably, it will work, but you'll be using relatively heavy weight
charges, to get the same velocity as a faster burning powder would give
you, with less powder.

For midrange loads, Unique would probably be a good choice.

Unique is a good choice for a LOT of non magnum pistol and revolver
rounds. And, you can load 357 magnum and 44 magnum to fairly respectable
velocities. Not full power, but plenty of fun to shoot, using about 1/2
the powder of heavy loads using H110 and WW296

I reload 8 pistol calibers/rounds/whateveryoucallthem, and 98 to 99% of
my reloading is done with Unique.

It's a very versatile powder.

WW231 might also be a good choice for midrange loads in the 357 Sig. It
meters a little nicer than Unique (smaller flakes) an it's a little
faster burning, so you use a little less powder.

I've been using Unique for since about 1976, and I'm just really used to
it.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Dudley
2011-09-09 00:49:50 UTC
Jan Montgomery <***@gmail.com> wrote in news:j451gv$g7h$1
@news.albasani.net:

# I am in need of reloading data for the 357 Sig round using the berrys
# 124 Grain Flat Point Bullet, the powders I have on hand right now
# include Bullseye and Unique although I have been told that Accurate #9
# makes a good powder for this round, please include any other powders
# that you have had good experiences with. Please include Minimum OAL as
# well as all other pertinent information. I know it's kind of stupid to
# ask for this information over tyhe internet, but I've spent the b
# etter half of the day looking in various places for a load using this
# bullet because I can buy it relatively cheaply.
#----------------------------------------------------------------

I reload the 357sig a lot. I use primarily two powders Unique and
Alliant #2.

#2 load for 124-5 fmj truncated is 5.8 grns
Unique is 7.6 grns

These are not hot loads and I use them because they give the most
consistent accuracy.

I DO NOT recommend #9 because to get the proper load requires
compressing the powder. #7 gives a nearly full load with no benefit
over #2 and since it is almost double the grains that translates to
double the cost...so why do it?

Hope this helps. BTW the #2 and Unique work very nicely in 380 loads as
well.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Dudley
2011-09-09 12:26:43 UTC
Jan Montgomery <***@gmail.com> wrote in news:j451gv$g7h$1
@news.albasani.net:

# I am in need of reloading data for the 357 Sig round using the berrys
# 124 Grain Flat Point Bullet, the powders I have on hand right now
# include Bullseye and Unique although I have been told that Accurate #9
# makes a good powder for this round, please include any other powders
# that you have had good experiences with. Please include Minimum OAL as
# well as all other pertinent information. I know it's kind of stupid to
# ask for this information over tyhe internet, but I've spent the b
# etter half of the day looking in various places for a load using this
# bullet because I can buy it relatively cheaply.

I regularly reload for my 357sig. Here are my recipes.
I use hornady or Montana Gold 357 125gr bullets. Accurate #2 powder or
Unique. CCI primers and primarily Speer brass.

Accurate #2 is 5.8 gr
Unique is 7.5 gr.

I tested Accurate #7 and #9 as well. #7 load is ok at around 10.7 gr,
but at that rate it makes it to expensive per round. #9 is totally
unsuited for this round, to achieve proper pressure/speed requires a
compressed load.

I prefer the #2 because it is so easy and accurate to meter out.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net