Indoor Tactics
p***@hotmail.com
2017-12-17 23:59:16 UTC
This link is to a promo by the ALICE Training institute, which claims
to be one of the foremost organizations in teaching people how to
deal with active shooter situations:

https://www.alicetraining.com/our-program/raider/

The promo includes a You-Tube video showing people performing
simulated combat maneuvers. I would appreciate it if someone
in rec.guns would look at the video and critique it. One thing
that catches my attention is that the video shows armed
first responders advancing through a doorway in one movement,
whereas, according to a book on tactics I read, in this
situation the first responder should stop, make a sideways
semicircular movement around the doorway, ready to shoot at
any hostile that comes into view, and only then proceed
through the doorway.

Thank you in anticipation,

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Peter Franks
2017-12-19 20:59:11 UTC
#
# https://www.alicetraining.com/our-program/raider/
#
# The promo includes a You-Tube video showing people performing
# simulated combat maneuvers. I would appreciate it if someone
# in rec.guns would look at the video and critique it. One thing
# that catches my attention is that the video shows armed
# first responders advancing through a doorway in one movement,
# whereas, according to a book on tactics I read, in this
# situation the first responder should stop, make a sideways
# semicircular movement around the doorway, ready to shoot at
# any hostile that comes into view, and only then proceed
# through the doorway.
#
# Thank you in anticipation,
#
# Peter Wezeman
# anti-social Darwinist

Yeah, having discussions about this kind of stuff is similar to what's
the best handgun round...

Regarding entry, I've learned and trained (but never experienced) that
you 'pie' (sideways semicircular movement) the room prior to entry, from
3-5' back from the door, engaging the target and retreat if encountered.
If no target, bring weapon in close (count 4 for handgun, muzzle down
for rifle), quickly enter thru doorway at angle (not straight on) and
then change direction at a right angle immediately following entry,
raising/extending weapon. Clear the room, next.

Walking thru door with weapon extended makes it easy(ier) for an
assailant to grab the weapon away from you. Handgun in close allows for
close contact response.

Changing direction on entry makes you more of an unpredictable moving
target in the event there is an unnoticed assailant; making a bee-line
makes you an easier, more obvious/expected target.

Moving quickly w/o surveilling the room can make you a dead simple
target for an assailant just standing next to the entry door waiting for
you to enter.

A dead first responder isn't super helpful. You need to move quick, but
limit your exposure with a few simple and effective tactics that only
marginally slow progress.