looking for a story about a rifle barrel apprentice to a master craftsman
TimR
2018-06-08 16:32:40 UTC
I don't know where I saw this article, could even be here, but I can't find
it with a search.

This was an old article in some gun mag, probably several decades ago.

The plot was this: an old master gunsmith can make these magic rifle barrels
for competition that nobody can duplicate. He's trained an assistant, but
never shares the ultimate secret. The old master is ill when an important
order is due, and the apprentice has to make the barrel. The kid doesn't
know the secret, so he makes the barrel using 10 times the normal care on
every step, in fear he'll hurt the master's reputation. The master recovers
in time to test the perfect barrel. the kid wants to know what the last
secret step is - the master stamps his initials on it. The moral of the
story is there's no secret beyond extraordinary care and craftsmanship.

Does that one ring a bell with anybody?
j***@sbcglobal.net
2018-06-09 22:32:50 UTC

#
#This was an old article in some gun mag, probably several decades ago.
#
#The plot was this: an old master gunsmith can make these magic rifle barrels
#for competition that nobody can duplicate. He's trained an assistant, but
#never shares the ultimate secret. The old master is ill when an important
#order is due, and the apprentice has to make the barrel. The kid doesn't
#know the secret, so he makes the barrel using 10 times the normal care on
#every step, in fear he'll hurt the master's reputation. The master recovers
#in time to test the perfect barrel. the kid wants to know what the last
#secret step is - the master stamps his initials on it. The moral of the
#story is there's no secret beyond extraordinary care and craftsmanship.
#
#Does that one ring a bell with anybody?

"The Secret Of The Old Master" by Lucian Cary
Originally published in the October 5, 1940 issue of the Saturday
Evening Post, reprinted in a 1975 issue of Gun Digest and "The
Machinist's Bedside Reader' Vol 1 by Guy Lautard
p***@hotmail.com
2018-06-10 22:27:20 UTC
# wrote:
#
# #I don't know where I saw this article, could even be here, but I can't find
# # it with a search.
# #
[...]

Was this one of a series of stories, with the master gunsmith
based on the historical figure Henry Pope?

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
TimR
2018-06-11 17:34:44 UTC
That's it, thanks!
John B. Slocomb
2018-07-23 10:45:15 UTC
wrote:

[...]

Yes. I remember reading it, but that is about all.

--

Cheers,

John B.