Lee's Red Ramps?
Gunner Asch
2012-07-16 06:38:17 UTC
The robins egg blue front insert finally fell out of the front ramp of
my Series 70 CCW, .... and I cant remember seeing Lee at the gun shows
for the past dozen or so years. Anyone know if he is still alive, or if
his products are still being sold? They were an epoxy with dye to make
just about any color you liked. I had him do about a dozen handguns over
the years at gunshows, and Im afraid some of the others are aging as
well.

I detest "red" or "orange" sight inserts as they cant be seen at night
worth a damned. Robins egg blue always worked very well for me.

He originally lived in California, but a quick google shows up a half
dozen different addresses with nothing solid.

Anyone know where I can find either him (RIP if he has passed) or his
kits? Id like to have a kit on the shelf for repairs of the others and
Id like to do a few of the other rifles/pistols as well.

Any other powdered insert kits out there?

Gunner, who is shooting again.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Steve W.
2012-07-16 12:15:34 UTC
Bright sights has a kit but no blues.
You could DIY it easy enough though. Take normal clear epoxy and add a
SMALL amount of solvent based paint (testors model paints work well)
Should only take a drop or two to color enough epoxy to do the job.
--
Steve W.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
s***@prolynx.com
2012-07-16 23:46:45 UTC
Brownell's has an epoxy kit to do that, no blue. Has white though, that wo=
rks for me. Don't like red or orange either. If you can find the acrylic,=
it's easy enough to chop a chunk out and work it down with needle files to=
fit the dovetail on the sight, then press it in. Have an old kit that Bro=
wnell's still sells to do that. Might be TAP Plastics would have something=
for scrap that you could use, used to have a buck a pound bin for offcuts =
in the stores. One of the few things I miss about CA.

If you want to experiment, see if you can find some dry laundry dye the rig=
ht color and mix a little of that with some quick-set epoxy and see how it =
works. Has got to be cheaper than either of those kits.

Stan

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Gunner Asch
2012-07-17 11:05:38 UTC

#
#If you want to experiment, see if you can find some dry laundry dye the rig=
#ht color and mix a little of that with some quick-set epoxy and see how it =
#works. Has got to be cheaper than either of those kits.
#
#Stan
#

Thats part of the problem. Lee originally did the machine work for his
product..and there is a very nicely undercut "dovetail" with 2 holes
drilled inside the dovetail to help retain the epoxy after it cures. No
glue needed. This particular .45 has fired some 100,000+ warmish rds
with that sight installed, with zero issues noted. And its been carried
for at least 25 yrs, on my person, under the seat, etc etc. Another
one has some 75k rounds..no issues noted. And the others I had done..no
issues noted either.

Hell..the bluing on my daily gun failed 20 yrs ago, and I had it
Armalloyed..yet the sight insert still held up nicely. Ive replaced the
recoil springs a couple times, the main spring once, the trigger spring
once...yet that front insert still held up nicely. Until my last pistol
match..where it evaporated during a rapid fire string.

So I really need to see what I can come up with. Ive got a lot of
scrap plastics..but there is no good way to insert a chunk. I repair
machinery in machine shops (and plastics shops) so run into all manner
of Stuff. Shrug.

Robins egg blue is THE color for me. Ill try some model airplane paint
mixed into slow set epoxy and dam it up and see what comes out. Its more
than usable as is..I machined and put on a set of sights from a Python
(front and rear) when I purchased the pistol new, so they are a bit
higher profile (but only a smidgeon) than the original factory fixed and
do the job admirably for me...but I dont much like that empty hole in
the front sight.

Thanks guys!

Gunner

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley
2012-07-17 18:00:59 UTC
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:05:38 AM UTC-6, Gunner Asch wrote:
# Robins egg blue is THE color for me. Ill try some model airplane paint
# mixed into slow set epoxy and dam it up and see what comes out.

Here is some stuff specifically made for coloring epoxy. The blue looks a bit darker than you want, but you can probably control that.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/Epoxy-Paste-Pigments-c46.htm

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Gunner Asch
2012-07-18 09:49:24 UTC
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:00:59 +0000 (UTC), Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley
<***@yahoo.com> wrote:

#On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:05:38 AM UTC-6, Gunner Asch wrote:
## Robins egg blue is THE color for me. Ill try some model airplane paint
## mixed into slow set epoxy and dam it up and see what comes out.
#
#Here is some stuff specifically made for coloring epoxy. The blue looks a bit darker than you want, but you can probably control that.
#
#http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/Epoxy-Paste-Pigments-c46.htm
#

In a very quick response..

"Gunner,

It is possible to achieve this color by mixing blue, green, and a small
amount of white. You will have to play with the colors to get the exact
shade.

System Three Resins Inc.
Technical Support
253.333.8118
www.systemthree.com

My response:

to Randy
$33 plus shipping for 6 ounces of filler..when I need at most..a total
of 1 oz.

Ill have to pass. But thank you for your assistance.
****

Shrug

Gunner

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley
2012-07-16 23:46:46 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2012 12:38:17 AM UTC-6, Gunner Asch wrote:
# Any other powdered insert kits out there?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22791/Product/
but not in blue

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
h***@aol.com
2018-07-31 14:03:55 UTC
On Monday, July 16, 2012 at 2:38:17 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I realize this is an old post but Lee Baker was my uncle and I felt an urge
to respond after stumbling on this question. Lee passed away from a self
inflicted gun shot wound in early 2000's. I am sorry I do not recall the exact
year. I flew out from my home in N.C. in the summer of 1980 and spent several
weeks with him attending gun shows in Southern California and observing him
install many red ramp sights. He took great pride in his workmanship and the
product he had developed. I learned enough to know that the material was a
form of dental polymer / resin and he and a dentist friend collaborated on the
exact formula he ended up using. Miss my uncle and think of him often. The
kits do still turn up occasionally on ebay etc. Nothing on the market that I
am aware of compares to the quality of the original Lee's Red Ramps.
Tony Baker / Pikeville, N.C.