Sticky 'scope
Mick Tilley
2010-11-21 15:27:50 UTC
Got a rather strange problem with a 'scope. It's a Tasco TG624x44DS which a
friend bought new in the US about 5 years ago and mailed to me here in the
UK. Optically it's still fine, but the matt black paint / coating on the
tube has gone tacky / gummy and it's picking up dust, grit, fluff, grass
seeds etc.
Anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you fix it?

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory .308 SOCOM M14 rifle while helping the Cause!
Get your MPFO raffle tickets at http://myguns.org/
n***@yahoo.com
2010-11-22 00:29:25 UTC
# Tasco TG624x44DS

# the matt black paint / coating on the
# tube has gone tacky / gummy

# Anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you fix it?

There's no end of things that can go wrong with a Tasco but that's one
I haven't heard before. I suppose one could ask the factory what
might be done, if you're allowed to export it and reimport it when
repaired. Otherwise a fella might carefully mask the lenses, have the
goo sandblasted off, and then repaint it. Good luck.

Advocate
2010-11-22 00:29:33 UTC
"Mick Tilley" wrote in message news:icbdpm$gnb$***@news.albasani.net...

Got a rather strange problem with a 'scope. It's a Tasco TG624x44DS which a
friend bought new in the US about 5 years ago and mailed to me here in the
UK. Optically it's still fine, but the matt black paint / coating on the
tube has gone tacky / gummy and it's picking up dust, grit, fluff, grass
seeds etc.
Anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you fix it?

No, I have never seen that problem. It sounds like the scope was painted and
perhaps you got some nitro solvent on it.

It has been my experience in the past that Tasco branded products are of low
quality, especially the optics, and not worthy of mounting on any of my
guns. In my 44 years of big game hunting, I have had three rifle scopes
fail...All of them Tasco. My first Tasco rifle scope had a lifetime
warranty, it failed and I returned it for replacement. The scope I was given
also failed rather quickly and I bought a Bushnell Scope Chief (after 30
years, this particular scope is still mounted on my first rifle, a Remington
700 in 30/06...it's very clear and has proven to be absolutely reliable).
The third Tasco was mounted on a rifle I bought used. This scope had
terrible optics and was removed and replaced with I believe a Leupold.
Someone here recently made a comment about "Jap crap" scopes. Overall, I
find Japanese optics quite excellent; I have a Sightron II rifle scope
mounted on my .338 Winchester Magnum and never have had a single issue with
it. For the money, I feel Japan produces optics on par with the better
American scope brands (Leupold). Having never used European optics, I cannot
comment if a Zeiss is really three times better than a Leupold VXIII. I
cannot afford European optics and I am perfectly satisfied with $500 scopes
built in the States (actually I shop around and buy mine used and pay from a
1/2 to a 1/3 of retail). I have never had a Leupold, Burris, Sightron or my
old Scope Chief fail to give me a perfect sight picture during legal
shooting hours.

IGot2P
2010-11-22 02:32:49 UTC
Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is the rubber
coating on a Tasco EXP. It has become sticky and will even rub off black
on your hands if you rub it somewhat hard.

This is a very common problem with this rubber type coating on some
Tasco EXP scopes. Some individuals say to dust the scope with fine
talcum powder, i.e. baby powder and that the rubber will harden. Well,
unfortunately this does not work as the scope will become gooey again in
a short time. Others say that you can remove the rubber coating with
WD-40. Don't spray it directly on the scope. Rather, spray a paper towel
(actually several paper towels) with WD-40 and rub the scope. It sounds
like it would be quite a job but supposedly it will remove the rubber
coating from the scope.

I have this same problem with a 1.5X to 5X Tasco EXP that I have on a
rifled barrel Whitetail Unlimited Winchester shotgun for shooting deer
slugs. I just left mine gooey as I only use it once a year. Outside of
the gooey problem it is actually a great scope.

Don
Mick Tilley
2010-11-22 20:25:50 UTC
"IGot2P" <***@crsales.com> wrote in message news:icckog$c4e$***@news.albasani.net...
#
# Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is the rubber
# coating on a Tasco EXP. It has become sticky and will even rub off black
# on your hands if you rub it somewhat hard.
#

Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. Now where did I put that can of WD40 .
.. . .

s***@prolynx.com
2010-11-23 03:14:42 UTC
On Nov 22, 1:25 pm, "Mick Tilley" <***@tilleys.co.uk> wrote:
# "IGot2P" <***@crsales.com> wrote in message
#
# news:icckog$c4e$***@news.albasani.net...
# #
# # Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. It is the rubber
# # coating on a Tasco EXP. It has become sticky and will even rub off black
# # on your hands if you rub it somewhat hard.
# #
#
# Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. Now where did I put that can of WD40 .
# .. . .
#
Mineral spirits/V.M.&P. naptha will probably work and would be a whole
lot cheaper. Unfortunately, the plastic coatings can be sensitive to
cleaning solvents and once they start deteriorating, they're goners.
One reason I steer away from "rubber" coatings.

Stan

GeoW
2010-11-24 02:25:56 UTC
Had the same problem on a set of Tasco World Class Plus Binoculars.
These were guaranteed for life by Tasco....
They said there was nothing that could be done about the sticky
finish. I tossed them as I found nothing to remove the goo..

l***@gmail.com
2013-11-12 00:37:41 UTC
I called Bushnell (1-800-423-3537) today. They said that they could repair my Tasco
Exp scope. They said that they would charge me if it was made before 2002, and they
said that they could repair the sticky rubber coating.
R. LaCasse
2014-01-20 12:15:18 UTC
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:37:41 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#
#I called Bushnell (1-800-423-3537) today. They said that they could repair my Tasco
#Exp scope. They said that they would charge me if it was made before 2002, and they
#said that they could repair the sticky rubber coating.

You should try to maintain rubber things, like grips and stuff like
that with "Rubber Renue", brings it back to a supple life, if the rubber
isn't gone too far!

Apparently "Rubber Renue" is being phased out in the USA for some
obscure reason, but it can be found in lesser bullroar legislation states.

Bob
Peter Franks

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Rubber-Liquid-Bottle/dp/B008O9X3KS
Gunner Asch
2014-01-21 14:23:50 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 23:11:17 +0000 (UTC), Peter Franks
<***@cox.net> wrote:

#On 1/20/2014 4:15 AM, R. LaCasse wrote:
## On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:37:41 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:
##
## #
## #I called Bushnell (1-800-423-3537) today. They said that they could repair my Tasco
## #Exp scope. They said that they would charge me if it was made before 2002, and they
## #said that they could repair the sticky rubber coating.
##
## You should try to maintain rubber things, like grips and stuff like
## that with "Rubber Renue", brings it back to a supple life, if the rubber
## isn't gone too far!
##
## Apparently "Rubber Renue" is being phased out in the USA for some
## obscure reason, but it can be found in lesser bullroar legislation states.
#
#http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Rubber-Liquid-Bottle/dp/B008O9X3KS
#
Thanks Peter!!

Gunner, going to get a bottle for an Akai tape deck that has rock hard
pinch rollers
d***@hotmail.com
2018-06-08 00:48:24 UTC
Ok I found a solution that's works Great to get all the sticky rubber off scopes.... Believe me this works, I've done to a rifle and spotting scope
1. Let your scope dry off....like, dust and cat hair as I done to just stop the stickiness from getting all over everything. That took me several months(laziness)
2. Here is the magic..... PEANUT BUTTER. Leave covers on and keep covered. Rub peanut butter all over the scope. Let it soak for about 15 minutes.
3. Get a hard old rough cotton towel. Use your thumb and scrape off rubber. Make sure the towel is dry and free from dirt. Keep using different parts of towel to get
Junk off. This will take time ... Approximately 15 minutes or so....... I used a paper towel and dish washing soap to take off Pbutter and smell. This also works
great on duct tape, stickers and most things gooey.
Just Wondering
2018-06-09 00:28:57 UTC
On 6/7/2018 6:48 PM, ***@hotmail.com wrote:
# Ok I found a solution that's works Great to get all the sticky rubber off scopes.... Believe me this works, I've done to a rifle and spotting scope
# 1. Let your scope dry off....like, dust and cat hair as I done to just stop the stickiness from getting all over everything. That took me several months(laziness)
# 2. Here is the magic..... PEANUT BUTTER. Leave covers on and keep covered. Rub peanut butter all over the scope. Let it soak for about 15 minutes.

Who sits around thinking, "I think I'll smear some peanut
butter on my rifle scope and see what happens"? :)

misanthropic_curmudgeon
2013-11-12 13:31:50 UTC
On Monday, November 22, 2010 4:27:50 AM UTC+13, Mick Tilley wrote:
# Got a rather strange problem with a 'scope. It's a Tasco
# TG624x44DS which a friend bought new in the US about 5
# years ago and mailed to me here in the UK. Optically
# it's still fine, but the matt black paint / coating on
# the tube has gone tacky / gummy and it's picking up
# dust, grit, fluff, grass seeds etc.
# Anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did
# you fix it?=20

I gotta say that it does not seem like a problem to a bush-hunter like me:
the last thing I want is a good paintjob on anything to stand out or catch
a reflection: when one is stalking to within 20-30m of a deer, a bit of 'free
cammo' like you describe sounds good!
IGot2P
2013-11-12 21:24:21 UTC
# I gotta say that it does not seem like a problem to a bush-hunter like me:
# the last thing I want is a good paintjob on anything to stand out or catch
# a reflection: when one is stalking to within 20-30m of a deer, a bit of 'free
# cammo' like you describe sounds good!
#

Believe me when a scope gets that way it is a problem. In the brush you
would have leaves, etc. stuck all over it. I have a Tasco 1.5 x 5 EXP
scope like that on a shotgun for deer hunting in Iowa and it really
sucks. It was so gummy and sticky that I finally covered mine with
masking tape (I know I should have used camo tape) just to keep the
black stuff from sticking to my hands and it is even more of a problem
with gloves.
Mike Marlow

Why do people even buy Tasco scopes?
IGot2P
2013-11-13 18:32:43 UTC
# Why do people even buy Tasco scopes?
#

Because the low power TeeVee type work great on shotguns shooting slugs
for deer hunting. There is simply no need for a more expensive scope in
this situation. In fact, I think that I may have one or two on high
dollar Golden Eagle rifles that work fine. IMO scopes are meant to do a
job not be a status symbol.
Mike Marlow
2013-11-14 17:17:32 UTC
IGot2P wrote:
# #
# # Why do people even buy Tasco scopes?
# #
#
# Because the low power TeeVee type work great on shotguns shooting
# slugs for deer hunting. There is simply no need for a more expensive
# scope in this situation. In fact, I think that I may have one or two
# on high dollar Golden Eagle rifles that work fine. IMO scopes are
# meant to do a job not be a status symbol.

I agree with that last statement, but I've just never know Tasco scopes to
hold up at all.
r***@gmail.com
2013-11-16 01:26:24 UTC
On Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:27:50 AM UTC-6, Mick Tilley wrote:
# Got a rather strange problem with a 'scope. It's a Tasco TG624x44DS which a
# friend bought new in the US about 5 years ago and mailed to me here in the
# UK. Optically it's still fine, but the matt black paint / coating on the
# tube has gone tacky / gummy and it's picking up dust, grit, fluff, grass
# seeds etc.
# Anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you fix it?

Wouldn't it help to rub it down with some sort of dark-colored dusty material?
So as to eliminate the stickiness? Brown, dry clay soil or something like that?
c***@gmail.com
2014-01-19 03:49:01 UTC
I have the same problem on 2 Tasco scopes. One that rarely used and the other has
not been used since I sighted it in. They sit in a gun safe. I have tried a couple
things on one of them, including goo-gone on the one that is used, to no avail. I
have started shopping for new scopes.
Mike Marlow
2014-01-19 11:26:13 UTC
***@gmail.com wrote:
# I have the same problem on 2 Tasco scopes. One that rarely used and
# the other has not been used since I sighted it in. They sit in a gun
# safe. I have tried a couple things on one of them, including goo-gone
# on the one that is used, to no avail. I have started shopping for new
# scopes.

Some here seem to feel that Tasco is a good product. In my experience -
they are pure junk. They fog up badly in the woods, and that's all I need
to steer clear of them. Does not surprise me to hear of other problems with
them. What can you expect from a scope that sells for $39.99?
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Gunner Asch
2014-01-19 14:16:12 UTC
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:26:13 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Marlow"
<***@windstream.net> wrote:

#***@gmail.com wrote:
## I have the same problem on 2 Tasco scopes. One that rarely used and
## the other has not been used since I sighted it in. They sit in a gun
## safe. I have tried a couple things on one of them, including goo-gone
## on the one that is used, to no avail. I have started shopping for new
## scopes.
#
#Some here seem to feel that Tasco is a good product. In my experience -
#they are pure junk. They fog up badly in the woods, and that's all I need
#to steer clear of them. Does not surprise me to hear of other problems with
#them. What can you expect from a scope that sells for $39.99?

SOME Tascos cost $39.95.

Like some cars cost $9k

They make better ones you do know..right?

Gunner
Gunner Asch
2014-01-19 11:26:14 UTC
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 03:49:01 +0000 (UTC), ***@gmail.com wrote:

#I have the same problem on 2 Tasco scopes. One that rarely used and the other has
#not been used since I sighted it in. They sit in a gun safe. I have tried a couple
#things on one of them, including goo-gone on the one that is used, to no avail. I
#have started shopping for new scopes.

Well...you can..can paint them with a decent quality epoxy paint,
using several thin layers. It tends to stiffen up the goop and then
hold it rigidly on the last layers.

I did that with a pair of binocs that went goopy on me. About 5 yrs
now and they are still holding up fine.

Gunner
TimR
2014-01-20 01:18:34 UTC
On Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:16:12 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:

# SOME Tascos cost $39.95.
# Like some cars cost $9k
#

Here's an article on scopes that might be interesting to those who shoot airguns as well as powder burners.

http://www.lasc.us/rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm

I suspect a lot of cheap scopes hold up only because they aren't shot more than a couple times a year. Airgun scopes tend to get heavy use.